Tanukitsune

Anybody want to help my with horrible internet connection problem?

Since you've tested the connection yourself and gotten 10Mb/s you should call the ISP and say "Hello, I'm only getting 10Mb/s on my speed test. Send a guy over and fix it, please."

Apparently it's important to use LOCAL speed tests.... every local test gives GREAT speed and everything! :frusty:

OK... so it looks like I'll get 35+ by ethernet cable, so I'll go that route...

Pretend I never spoke about the previous stuff and let's talk about coaxial cables... I can't find this old coaxial cable on any chart...

It reads 3C/2V Coaxial cable 75 omhs and the ends looks more like the cable for the old Atari... Or any 8 bit console...

The modern one seems to have it's copper core exposed?

Is there anything I can do to adapt this for the router/gateway? Will exchanging "males" be enough?

I've changed... is "grounding" the proper English word?:erm:

Well, I've managed to change one of those, so if I have to change the "coaxial grounding" I think I can if such a thing is possible?

Apparently you both skipped the edit, because I did try an ethernet cable and got 10MB, the ISP guy got 50Mb WITH those sites you mentioned...

And what was your ping like?

Never mind. Forget that, just do what Toblix suggested.

Apparently it's important to use LOCAL speed tests.... every local test gives GREAT speed and everything! :frusty:

1. You said you'd tested your connection with www.speedtest.net -- and you'd gotten 10mb/s, but speedtest.net automatically routes you to the closest testing location. (I.e. Your local one.) Confused.

2. If you're getting great speed for sites in your country (i.e. local ones) then a coaxial cable change isn't going to make any difference.

3. Does the connection still "drop a lot" (as you said in your first post) when you're connected by an ethernet cable? Or can we assume that your connection is now fine?

This is complicated.

I just said I managed to get it to nearly 40... is every posting their reply as the same time as me?

I get about 30Mb via Wifi if I'm really close, my desktop is unfortunately very far... I get nearly 40 via Ethernet cable and it seems I have a coaxial cable in my room... Read my previous post for the description..

I think that maybe, just maybe.... I could try to do a little work on the coaxial "grounding" (?) I might be able to get the router in my room...

EDIT: I don't know what to say, my first try with speedtest was horrid, but I tried again before calling ISP and got 25 with speedtest and 35 with every Spanish speed test?

Instead of messing around with coaxial cable, just let the router be and put down some Cat 5 cable instead. If you're not using the coax anymore, use it to pull the Cat 5.

Isn't a cat 5 cable an ethernet cable? The cable I'm holding in my hands says CAT 5.e so I guess it's a cat 5...

I still need a coaxial cable to connect the router to the "grounding" in my room and then I'll connect it via Ethernet cable to my PC?

[Wall Grounding]-(coaxial)->[Gaterway/router]-(Cat5)->[PC] ?

^ ^

| |

This is the area I need help with?

I could just connect it from the living room with a LONG ethernet cable, but I don't want an ugly cable running along the house even if I do attach it to the ceiling...

EDIT: The extra spacing I placed didn't work... I was pointing to the grounding and the coaxial part?

No, let the router and coaxial cable be where they are. Just put an ethernet cable from the router to wherever you need super fast internet.

The cable would look horrible no matter how I'd set it... and I'd need a hub to split the ethernet cables to my consoles...

How expensive are ethernet cables anyway? I'd need 20 meters at least to get it from where the router is to my room!

Just like every other kind of cable, you can get swindled like a bindle if you just walk into a store and buy some. I don't know how things are where you are, but you should be able to get 25m of cable with connectors for not many pesos or whatever if you know where to look. Also, a switch isn't super expensive either. You don't need anything fancy.

Apparently we got Wifi to get rid of "ugly" cables, so they won't allow me to put any cables on the walls or ceiling...

There are adapters like these

devolo_d1176avsk_foto_1.jpg

that lets you connect your router to a switch over the power lines. I've used these before with great success, but I'm not sure how high a bitrate you'd actually get.

Hmm, they actually sell these in my country... But wouldn't the option of simply moving the router be cheaper? I'll probably have to modify the "grounding" but I doubt that would cost the 60€ the DLan might cost? It's still a nice alternative...

There are adapters like these

devolo_d1176avsk_foto_1.jpg

that lets you connect your router to a switch over the power lines. I've used these before with great success, but I'm not sure how high a bitrate you'd actually get.

those things usually suck

those things usually suck

Fine, whatever. I don't use them myself, but I've installed them for other other people and they work fine.

Are you running some kind of network at home or something? What the heck do you need 50 MB for? Even 20 is super fast for most home use, at least that's my experience.

I've had 10mb/s for a few years and it's more than enough for all purposes. My parents-in-laws have 100mb/s in Japan and I see no difference in regular usage. Isn't bigger bandwidths usually only used for stuff like server running etc?

With my current contract I could get 100mb/s for the same price, if my old apartment building would have modern cables running in the house and all the plugs from this age and not the 50's.

I've had 10mb/s for a few years and it's more than enough for all purposes. My parents-in-laws have 100mb/s in Japan and I see no difference in regular usage. Isn't bigger bandwidths usually only used for stuff like server running etc?

With my current contract I could get 100mb/s for the same price, if my old apartment building would have modern cables running in the house and all the plugs from this age and not the 50's.

Yeah, exactly, response time is the most important thing for 99% of the time. Unless you're downloading a gigantic file or trying to stream HD or something.

Well, propably my internet connection wanted during the weekend to take a share of tanukitsune's problems and suddenly instead of 10/2 I'm getting 0,5/2 all the time, what the hell?

I switch to Ethernet cables now, it's... so beatuitful! T_T

I don't think I've ever had such a good connection with Wifi before! EVER!

I don't know which thread was the worst before, but this thread is now the worst. Glad to hear you're happy, Tanu.

Why is this thread bad now? Because I won't let it die? Now that internet problems are solved I have no reason to post here anymore... :erm: