toblix

Future Wars

Just started playing this old Delphine adventure game. I started playing it lots of times back in the day, but never got past the descending ceiling at the very start. I always got frustrated, and tried lots of times, but the interface was just too clumsy and I never got any further. Now I'm using an emulator and can save and restore instantly, which allowed me to stop the ceiling after just three tries!

The very first screen of the game is amazing:

rsi7S.png

Ahhh... Delphine. If it's lovely graphics you're after, then their Cruise for a Corpse was a wonderful Agatha Christie throwback. Charming!

I always wanted to play Future Wars, but I never found a copy back in the day.

Fun fact: Delphine were a French music studio who got into games. As a result, their sound was always fantastic.

If it's lovely graphics you're after, then their Cruise for a Corpse was a wonderful Agatha Christie throwback. Charming!

Adventure Gamers isn't really into it. It's Evan "I like irony and zest and wit" Dickens reviewing, but the 2 stars don't hint at much quality.

Adventure Gamers isn't really into it. It's Evan "I like irony and zest and wit" Dickens reviewing, but the 2 stars don't hint at much quality.

Adventure Gamers also claimed that Grim Fandango's music "fails to create much ambience or atmosphere" and "often proves distracting and bothersome". They also rated Escape from Monkey Island as better than Curse.

Their opinion means nothing to me.

Seriously though, if you want a very straight, and pretty, Agatha Christie mystery, I don't think you can fault it. (The entire game takes place on a boat, and it takes around 5 hours to complete, IIRC.) Will YOU know who the killer is by the end...?

Oh man, I used to love this game when I was a kid.

Especially all the "hurray"s you get at the end. spoiler!

I don't know if it was lazy translation or the writers couldn't come up with anything better and decided, 'aw fuck it, hurrays all around!'

Adventure Gamers also claimed that Grim Fandango's music "fails to create much ambience or atmosphere" and "often proves distracting and bothersome". They also rated Escape from Monkey Island as better than Curse.

Haha what?! That Grim Fandango comment is straight trolling I think. The Monkey Island aspect is probably from steep score inflation on adventure game scores from adventure game fan sites from 2000 and onwards. Every game was AMAZING apparently for a while there.

Anyway, I've always been kind of interested in playing Future Wars simply because Eric Chahi did the art for the game and every screenshot I have seen looks amazing (much like Another World) with the low resolution and flat coloring style.

He didn't design it though so I have no idea if it's a game worth playing or not. Wasn't the design led by the same guy who did Flashback, Cruise for a Corpse, and that James Bond game?

Just finished it. Good game. A real action adventure. Some parts have aged worse than others, like the arcade stuff (shooting, running), though with an emulator the frustration is manageable. You can really see Chahi's style oozing out of every doorway and cracked wall in this game. Parts of it could be taken straight out of Another World.

Maybe it's just my sound card or the DOS emulator, but all of Delphine games sound HORRID! They sound amazing on the Amiga though...:erm:

Future Wars was their only adventure game I liked, the others really annoyed me...:shifty: