Sign in to follow this  
Intrepid Homoludens

Help! (XP advice needed)

I finally got my XP OEM today and upgraded my system from ME. Here's the dope. I hadn't backed up all my old files but I want to selectively import them over to the new OS (all my writing and some miscellanea). When I installed XP it told me that if I put it in the \WINDOWS folder all my files will be wiped out. Scared to death of this, I installed it in another folder. Any advice? :innocent: Thanks.

Sooo... what is the problem? The old Windows folder will just become obsolete and you can delete it after you've installed XP.

I myself always install windows on clean formatted disks. I have two and I shuffle them around, then clean the old files.

what files do you want to transfer and where were they originally? Did you install the windows already?

Many of them are in the old My Documents folder in ME, which I can still access through XP. I've already installed XP.

I guess I could always put the files onto floppy (my cd burner's not working), reinstall XP (and wipe out ME and all unnecessary files) and have to fully install whatever files and programs I had before (what a pain).

Ok, it doesn't sound like anything that you can't solve by just cutting the contents of the old My Documents and pasting to the new My Documents? I am not sure where ME keeps the My Documents folder, but XP's are located in C:/Documents and Settings/username/My Documents/

I believe 2000 has them in the same place as XP does, but earlier incarnations just had it in the root or... maybe elsewhere...

Did that help?

Well, I decided to do the 'send to' bit and send the entire contents of the ME My Documents folder to the XP My Documents folder. That should do it.

But how do I delete ME afterwards (without having to reinstall XP)?

I would think really hard about anyting that you may have saved in the old Windows folder. If there is nothing, just mark it and click delete. Make sure you are indeed running XP and you're deleting the right folder. :shifty: