toblix

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

I am reading movie-moron.com's James Bond roundtables, and I'm digging through Diamonds Are Forever when the two gay henchmen show up in this screenshot. And they're basically Kane & Lynch.

bond-worst-of-connery-3.jpg

!

That's uncanny. :D (Or un-KANEY!?!?!?!???????????)

I actually really love Kane & Lynch 2, for all its flaws, and this explains why better than I could.

Kane and Lynch takes the shooter format and drops into it two characters whose logic doesn’t evaporate the moment the player takes control.
[...]
Games have a history of dealing with their over-the-top violence by similarly inflating plot and character, embracing and even parodying the cheerful, outsized fascism of the action movies from which much of them sprang. They give you caricatures, encouraging you to not take the violence any more seriously than the rest of the presentation: it’s all in good fun, your Duke Nukems say, just relax and appreciate the joke.
[...]
Kane and Lynch are not a joke. Even if they weren’t paunchy middle-aged men making questionable hair decisions, they’d still be ugly, because what they do is ugly, and what they do is something the average player has done thousands of times before in different contexts: they kill. Then they go on their way, and kill again.
[...]

The market says: I want, and most companies produce games tailored to these wants.

Dog Days says: fuck you, this is what you want, look at what you want, asshole.

I need a dose of that now and then. Also, damn I'm glad actionbutton got rid of that horrible unreadable background...

Oh, nice write up on that site. I agree that K&L are anti-heroes in a truer sense of the word than most of the characters that usually get described as such. Usually that title gets tacked onto anything that isn't outright a space marine. But is someone like Guybrush Threepwood really such an anti-hero? He's really likeable, pretty successful with most of what he does and has a great sense of humor. What's not to like, not to find inspiring as a hero? Compare that to K&L, who are despicable in every way. Horrible people - you don't want to be them in any way, you can scarcely relate to them. Now those are anti-heroes.

Funny thing is, the plane ending is actually sticking with me more than most video game endings. I kinda dig it, the more I think about it.