ThunderPeel2001

Cave Story

I get paid on Friday, after which games shall be acquired.

I've spent a few hours on the PC version, so I'm excited to be able to play it on a console, where it seems like it belongs. It would have been nice to keep the 16-bit graphic style, but the revamped art looks pretty cool too.

I've been playing it. It's really good. The port has a few minor issues (mostly in the sound department), but it's really nice to be able to play it from my couch and in widescreen.

You can switch back to the old graphics if you want, but the new ones are quite nice and still completely in the same style, just higher resolution. But I do recommend switching to the old music immediately and lowering the sound effects volume quite a bit.

I heard that Balrog doesn't say "Huzzah!" anymore, he says "Ooohh Yeah!" like the KoolAid Man. Is that true?

WHAT?! Kool Aid Balrog... Man, you've got drywall all over you now, why would I want to take a shower with you?

(Cause the character design was originally based on a bar of soap? Eh? EH?! ...sorry)

Thanks for the tip about the sound, will do as soon as I snag it.

(Cause the character design was originally based on a bar of soap? Eh? EH?! ...sorry)

I liked the joke even though I didn't get it until after your explanation. Just so you know, Idle Thumbs protocol when you want to acknowledge that you've made a cheesy joke is to use the "get me coat" emoticon which looks like this: :getmecoat. You're not required to use it, of course, I'm just saying :).

I hope that in April or May Europe will get to play Cave Story also.

Would you really consider it a change in dialog, though? The english translation of the PC version was done by a fan, not anyone affiliated with the game, right?

Would you really consider it a change in dialog, though? The english translation of the PC version was done by a fan, not anyone affiliated with the game, right?

This is an excellent point, actually- Pixel didn't translate the version most of us ended up playing on the PC... Though if anyone is of the opinion that the fanslation was in some way easier to understand or more compelling than the new one, I'd be very interested to see some comparative logic/analysis!

Sometimes fans totally handle things with more TLC than companies. Kaizoku-Fansubs translation of the One Piece Anime is a good example that pops to mind. Awesome touches like deciding and explaining to the audience the logic behind leaving the word "Nakama" untranslated. "Friend" just wasn't cutting it, it's more like "Soul-bound True-Blue Comrade" so they did the work.

Getting off my duff and checking if I have the Nintendo MoonDollars to get this today...

EDIT: Hooray!

Dear god what did they do to the music?! Had to change that shite first thing, as suggested. The new sprites look rather nice, but it's like they missed the point of the retro-evocative chiptunes entirely with the "voices" they chose. Right at the title theme, all the squareform "punchiness" was drained right out of it! Props for including the original sound and graphics, this is how ports/upgrades should be handled. I don't recall the sound EFFECTS being this obtrusive though... is the sound of weapon XP bouncing on the ground incredibly loud and annoying to anyone else? I guess that's one way to motivate the player to pick it the heck up...

Feels great with the Classic Controller, I've still got it! Blew through the egg corridor, but I really should do something productive today...

Edited by Xeneth

This is an excellent point, actually- Pixel didn't translate the version most of us ended up playing on the PC... Though if anyone is of the opinion that the fanslation was in some way easier to understand or more compelling than the new one

That's what it seems like (from what I've seen of it). Strange that the fan subs should be of higher quality, but I guess the fans just did a better job!

Yeah, I did sort of raise an eyebrow when Balrog said something about having the nose of a "royal harrier" (???) instead of a bloodhound...

As I cited in the silly anime example, yeah! Sometimes the fans just put more into it- Good translation is actually all about rewriting things in the spirit of the original copy for a different culture to pick up on. Just directly translating what was said is... a start, I suppose.

I'm sure many a translator has affected the flow of business or war or what have you by appropriately softening or massaging equivalent context out of something weird someone important blurted out.

Damn...you guys remember the dialogue too well for your own good. I've played this game, but I wouldn't have noticed the difference if you hadn't pointed it out.

Still waiting for the European Wiiware release of Cave Story. This will be a day one perch.

Also I'm thinking should I buy Super Meat Boy on Wiiware or for PC. I hope the European Wiiware release of Super Meat Boy will happen in November like the US release will.

A lot is happening now that I heard that Cave Story is coming to DSi as DsiWare. I think even Knytt Stories is coming? Also one friend sent me a page that some guy has made a DS conversion of Knytt Stories. I guess you need a flash cart to play that.

Interested to hear what Wii-Thumbs make of it! Anyone got it yet?

Finally it arrived on 10th December to European Wiiware, because of some problems I couldn't make it a day one perch.

I bought it finally and I'm loving every second of it. Quickly rising up to be my GOTY with Deathspank.

Finally it arrived on 10th December to European Wiiware, because of some problems I couldn't make it a day one perch.

I bought it finally and I'm loving every second of it. Quickly rising up to be my GOTY with Deathspank.

I was JUST wondering what had come of this! Thanks for the feedback.

Awesome!

Love the feeling of spreading good games/recommendations around like some kind of benevolent virus.

Cave Story is definitely a great game. In terms of the WiiWare/DsiWare version, there were some issues with the new music that replaced the original chiptunes. I'm not sure if those things have been patched yet, but you can totally choose the original music in the options anyway. It includes an easy and hard mode for extra playability. It's my favorite metroidvania by far.

I believe everything is patched. The US version was patched in October/November and it replaces the original Wiiware version released in spring 2010. The Euro version is the the patched version.

I'm finally closing in on completing this game after over four months of on/off playing.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the end of the game as

I fought against Misery and after that above there's the battle against the Doctor with the red crystal. Almost beat him twice, but that darn bastard had a little bit of energy left and he killed me.

I don't know how many endings there are actually to this game, I got to one of those earlier already, but I guess that wasn't "a real" ending, or it could be considered a bad ending or something like that.

the one were you give up and fly away with the dragon along with Kazuma

There seems to also be weapon choices during the game and also two different Boosters.

Also in this playthrough almost all characters are dead or captured, can that even be avoided?

Also in this playthrough almost all characters are dead or captured, can that even be avoided?

For some, yes, but you practically need a strategy guide to know what to do.

After making a series of unintuitive choices throughout the game, you get set on the path to a crazy hard secret level + boss leading to a third ending along with a bit more backstory. It is combinatorially unlikely that you will get this path correct if you guess, especially since some key decisions not only aren't clearly marked as choices, but have some unintuitive "correct" responses.

Nice, I'm going to look in to the secrets after I play this through for the first time.

I'm also wondering what will be unlocked when I complete the game as in the Wii version main menu there are couple of lines marked as ?????

This is a nice article.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33373/GDC_2011_Daisuke_Amaya_Draws_Lessons_From_Cave_Storys_Development.php

Daisuke-san is one of the game developers I would love to meet and chat someday. First need to get better at Japanese of course.

Never played Cave Story so I picked it up. Will talk about it later.