lobotomy42

Kotor 2: The Sith Lords (now with additional content)

So, after a lot of weird delays and internal modder politics, there is now a mod out that restores a lot of the cut content from Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords. Has anyone else been playing it? Does it address the complaints raised in this ancient Idle Thumbs review?

I've been playing through it again, and for the most part, I haven't noticed the changes. To be honest, the experience is reducing my memory of the game from "pretty awesome, but buggy" to "wow, why does everyone in this galaxy live in ugly corridors." I just got to the surface of Telos, and I was wondering when I was going to see some "magic new content." I then re-read the list of restored content and realized that I had already encountered a bunch of it. I'm not sure if this speaks to how well the modders integrated it into the rest of the game, or how inconsequential the missing content was to begin with. Apparently the really good stuff happens later on, though, so I guess I'll keep playing. But, wow, does this game have a lot of combat in a lot of corridors that I totally blocked out after my first time through.

EDIT: The mod is here.

I actually saw this and contemplated picking up the PC version of the game to check it out. I convinced my girlfriend to pick up KOTOR, so we'll see if my interest sticks around after we finish that together sometime soon.

I wonder how what they did compares to this project.
Team Gizka has been working on that thing for years, I just don't see them ever finishing. Even with the team that has released something, it's so long after that game was released I'm not really that interested in going back and playing it again.

I don't know, I've been watching that project for years, and they've never ceased to surprise me. Just when I'm sure the project really is dead, they'll update. I think they'll finally release something in the next, eh, year or two.

I've heard those dudes' open beta is pretty unstable, though.

Meh, I'm still holding out for the couple of guys that currently comprise Team Gizka. Silly as it might be, I do feel like playing that game again.

I just completed a light side play-through with the mod installed. There are no extremely major additions as far as I can tell, just a lot of minor scenes added in here and there. The only significant addition is the HK droid factory and I found that to be a slow and difficult slog even on easy.

The mod doesn't really address any of the issues raised by the Idle Thumbs review. I don't think this should be terribly surprising since the issues raised are pretty fundamental issues for the game and are way beyond the scope of a fairly straightforward content restoration mod.

If you've never played KOTOR II and want to, or if your planning on revisiting the game anyway the mod is certainly worth installing. It doesn't offer any fundamental changes to the game, so if you hated KOTOR II initially or have played it through once or twice and got your fill, the mod really has nothing to offer you.

The Team Gizka mod looks to be significantly more ambitious, but we'll see if they're ever able to finish. Also the 'open' beta wasn't really intended to be open, from what I understand it was leaked by one of the beta testers much to the annoyance of the Gizka dudes.

Also the 'open' beta wasn't really intended to be open, from what I understand it was leaked by one of the beta testers much to the annoyance of the Gizka dudes.

*This* mod is in open beta. It was created directly in response to the (apparent) lack of progress being made by Team Gizka. An incomplete version of The Team Gizka mod was leaked awhile back, but that has not much to do with the recently released one.