Sombre

How has Idle Thumbs affected your life?

How? :)

Inadvertantly. Basically he demoed some games made by his company (Gamelab?) during the experimental games session at GDC a couple of years ago, but none of the games shown were in any way experimental (definitely not in relation to the other games on display). After the presentation I asked some of the other guys if they thought so too and everyone agreed, but unfortunately there wasn't time to ask Eric about it during the session itself.

Anyway later that evening we were at a party and I saw Eric. I was sincerely curious about why he was asked to demonstrate his games as part of that session so I approached him and asked...

He was mildly offended. In my defence I was slightly drunk, and furthermore he admitted they weren't experimental. He then gave me "the hand" and moved away towards the dancefloor, dancing in an extremely provocative and seductive manner without a hint of self-doubt. Alex, Marek and I were amused.

Not sure where that dreamcast thread is and I don't want to refresh the episode thread so I'll post this here, admins can move it to the correct thread if necessary

Well, I had an idle thumbs dream this weekend, I`ve always wanted to have one of those dreams where you fly... instead I had this:

I'm in a shopping mall which seems to be in Nanaimo, B.c. (where my grandma lives). I'm with my special lady and some of her friends. She is wearing some super awesome mountain climbing shoes with a cross of St.George on them (my name is George). For reasons unbeknownst to me I take off running and am doing some Assasin's Creedy wall jumps and climbing moves, I climb to an otherwise unaccessable floor of the mall and there is a single video game arcade cabinet sitting there in the shadows... the sign says Idle thumbs, I walk closer and look at the game screen..

it's Space Asshole, (basically the footage from the s.a. video) So I'm standing there watching space asshole go about his day, but as this is happening my consciousness starts to slip into the dream world and I begin thinking to myself "my god, I'm having an idle thumbs dream... what is this world coming to..."

My sub-consciousness takes back over: I focus on the game screen again, Space Asshole is still running around hitting people with his hammer...

AND THEN

out of nowhere comes an "outrageous, minigun-toting, shirtless Road Warrior type named Warhammer", who proceeds to tear into Space Asshole remorselessly, at which point my brain can't handle the imploding Idle Thumb references and I wake up...

my first ever podcast dream

*note: the space asshole/idlethumbs game had a joystick and button layout similar to street fighter 2

a) Idle Thumbs can lead to harder drugs

B) I make references that my friends don't get.

This tidies it up nicely. Though fuck my friends if they don't get any Idle Thumbs references. Their loss for not knowing the greatness that is Video Games Wednesday. They don't really dig podcasts, so evening turning them onto to IT was a failing endeavor. It hasn't stopped me from adding a few Thumb meme's/references to conversation now and again.

Every Wednesday (or really late Tuesday if I listen to it as soon as it drops) would means laughing fits that put me in a better mood, while also wanting to game, just to make up for Jake's apparent lack there of. Though since I don't own an mp3 player it's never me giggling uncontrollably in public, unless I'm at work, in which case, I get some weird looks.

My interest in 'game design' from a gamer point of view has become more critical thanks in large part to the three of them taking the piss out of nearly everything Jordan Meckner didn't make. To this end, I've also begun enjoying adventure games a lot more, and have gone through a large chunk of my backlog, re-experiencing old games in a new light. I won't play Far Cry 2 though. I'll do anything for Thumbs, but I won't do that.

I will sum up what idle thumbs has meant to me despite having been aware of it for 5 weeks.

Being a douche bag or Faulknerian man-boy is not a prerequisite for liking games.

I was at the brutal legend midnight sale and the number of backward hats and 30 year Olds with the latest pokedex memorized brought me to despair. On top of that no one in the crowd had even heard of any of the classic schafer games (except for one girl in a Jack skellington hoodie who said grim Fandango sounded familiar). I felt very old and very defeated. Is this my tribe, are these the people I share a common thread with? Maybe it's time to hang it up. I trolled the guts of the interweave looking for the gaming podcast intro that would speak to me, all I got was chug-a-wugga guitars, bad electronica, public domain record scratching to a halt and announced sarcasm (which defeats the whole point of sarcasm).

Then, harpsichord, video games video games video games. Probably all about video games.

That cast, followed by the forums, let m e know I'm not the only one who sees how retarded/awesome, video games are. And you can hold both ideas in your head and in your discussion at the same time. (Add several exclamation points for emphasis). For the first time in a long while I want to hear what other people have to say about video games without dreading how shallow their analysis will be. Thanks for the 'casts, thanks for the memes, thanks for the nearly 100 hours of listening pleasure. Nick sign only non-disclosure agreements which exclude idle thumbs, fuck you anyways j/k (not really). Best of luck on fallout 6. Chris all theyour songs are gems I'm really glad you only wrote them when you felt it. See you gdc 2016 godfather keynote. Jake thanks for helping to steal the gold rings off of the steaming corpse pile known as lucasarts. Best of luck on full throttle 2. All j/king aside great job guys it may have been a happy accident but you put out something really terrific that's made at least one grumpy old 20 something want to game again.

-— brought to you by gojeffygo, his MyTouch, #50, wistfulblness, and artesian microbrews (fucking snob)

I will sum up what idle thumbs has meant to me despite having been aware of it for 5 weeks.

Being a douche bag or Faulknerian man-boy is not a prerequisite for liking games.

I was at the brutal legend midnight sale and the number of backward hats and 30 year Olds with the latest pokedex memorized brought me to despair. On top of that no one in the crowd had even heard of any of the classic schafer games (except for one girl in a Jack skellington hoodie who said grim Fandango sounded familiar). I felt very old and very defeated. Is this my tribe, are these the people I share a common thread with? Maybe it's time to hang it up. I trolled the guts of the interweave looking for the gaming. podcast intro that would speak to me, all I got was chug-a- wugga guitars, bad electronica, public domain record scratching to a halt and announced sarcasm (which defeats the whole point of sarcasm).

Then, harpsichord, video games video games video games. Probably all about video games.

That cast, followed by the forums, let m e know I'm not the. only one who sees how retarded/awesome, video games are. And you can hold both ideas in your head and in your. discussion at the same time. (Add several exclamation points for emphasis). For the first time in a long while I want to hear what other people have to say about video games without dreading how shallow their analysis will be. Thanks for the 'casts, thanks for the memes, thanks for the nearly. 100 hours of listening pleasure. Nick sign only non- disclosure agreements which exclude idle thumbs, fuck you. anyways j/k (not really). Best of luck on fallout 6. Chris all. theyour songs are gems I'm really glad you only wrote them. when you felt it. See you gdc 2016 godfather keynote. Jake thanks for helping to steal the gold rings off of the steaming corpse pile known as lucasarts. Best of luck on full throttle 2. All j/king aside great job guys it may have been a happy accident but you put out something really terrific that's. made at least one grumpy old 20 something want to game again.

-— brought to you by gojeffygo, his MyTouch, #50, wistfulblness, and artesian microbrews (fucking snob)[/ QUOTE]

Apologies to uk thumbs girlfriends for shitting on the pokedex, also any drunken autospell mistakes, and putting an actual compliment for Chris in the midst of backhanded ones, no regrets otherwise.

Idle Thumbs has subtly altered the way I speak and think...

I've infected a couple of my coworkers with it at this point, and they tell me that occasionally my cadence and choice of words is sort of informed by what they know of Remo's phrasing.

I've hit people over the head with Thumbs memes hard enough that they think they're Xeneth memes until I correct the situation with a link or something.

I've got the internal Idle monologue effect going every time something happens to me that I think would be labeled as "funny" "amazing" or "that happened".

I literally cannot hear certain words or phrases without internally hilarious side effects.

...Now that the sporadicast pacing is in effect, some of these "symptoms" may subside with time, but I felt like cementing just how compelling this endeavor can be if you're afflicted with meme sensitivity. (I've done that constant reiteration of a single thought into madness and oblivion since long before I ever lost it to "Jeff-gold-got-game-gold-bloom-game-etc.")