Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

25 years since Elite was released!

Missed it's exact day, but not to worry.

http://bit.ly/9ucRb

I was 9. :oldman:

Can anyone else identify with docking frustration until could afford the docking computer? I think it was 1400 credits if my memory serves.

I could never really stick with an Elite-like game, but the third one especially felt something special (if really bugged). Man I'd love a new game where you can transition from space flight to cruising around a planet at 5 mach with no loading screen, break from gameplay and the planet actually rendered pretty well. Also, Mars with water.

Man I'd love a new game where you can transition from space flight to cruising around a planet at 5 mach with no loading screen, break from gameplay and the planet actually rendered pretty well. Also, Mars with water.

Some of the technology in Infinity is pretty impressive. There's quite a nice video which ends with them pulling the camera away from the planet in up into the rings.

It's not a game, and doesn't go all the way down to the planet surface, but Celestia is pretty neat too.

Is anyone else thinking Elite needs a browser-based update, with community high score table(s), like something the Flashbang guys would make?

My idea would be that you're playing alone in your own instance, just like the original game, to keep things simple. But the community bit comes in via the high score and being able to form groups/clans and combine scores that way.

You could do all sorts of stuff then, for example: most profitable individual+clan overall, best mining run today, most expensive single ship, most expensive fleet... all sorts of stuff, without making things horribly complex by introducing multiplayer!

I think that'd be fucking awesome, personally--someone make it for me, now.

I'm still waiting for the ultimate "Space Trading" game... They're either far too technical and fiddly (the X series) or too linear (Freespace). There's such an awesome opportunity for someone to make an MMO in space that lets people create their own clans, jobs, factions, whatever. People could actually join the police and start hunting down the pirate players.... *sigh* I've wanted to see this game made for years.

Damn... Maybe I should check that out.

It's incredibly frustrating to see ideas I've wanted to see realised (I've got pages of notes somewhere inspired by my frustrated attempts at playing X2) - only to see that I was right! There was a market for it and it could be done... by other people :(

Next up: The RPG where characters react to how you've treated them/their friends/family, rather than based on your "evil-o-meter" score. (© May 2007 :grin: - based on a reaction I had to playing Black & White in 2001)

If only I wasn't so lazy.

You can't actually fly around in your ship in Eve can you? At least not properly with a first person view and flight type controls. Jumpgate Evolution might be more like it, if it turns out okay.

Jumpgate was obviously made as a twitch game to Eve's more sedate piloting. However, it won't be one instance (i.e. will be sharded) and lag will be much more of a factor.

Eve wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't all on the same server. Amazing idea and technology. It's what gives it the endless possibilities of player actions causing events.

Damn... Maybe I should check that out.

Scrobbs very kindly pinged me an invitation to play EVE a short while ago, but I still haven't plucked up the courage to try it... I fear it may just be a stretch too far for my obsessive-compulsive nature. ;(

Ah yes - thought I'd not seen you. You can have one too Thunderpeel if you want - gives you a 21 day trial.

Aw crap... ;( But what if I get hopelessly addicted and die at my computer after a three day, non-stop marathon session?

Ah, what the heck... Send over the code, Mr. Scrobbs!

(And thanks for the offer.)

If you subscribe from my invitation, I get a free month :) In return I gift you a wedge of in-game cash and playing advice. Of course, I would prolly do that anyway, but there you go!

I was 9 too! Played it on my BBC Micro, it was such a grown up game, I felt pretty pleased with myself when I was able to manually dock in the space stations. The graphics were amazing at the time, I got totally drawn in by the game.

Those aliens that attacked you while you were in hyperspace were terrifying.

I might need to play the game again, I can't really remember how the game developed. Was it just about getting cash? Could you buy anything with your money?

edit: I discovered something called Google and just found out the answers for myself. Basically it was an open world game. That's amazing!

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap1/elite.html

Yes of course! There was no real "end game" (unless you include making your ingame rank "Elite"). If only there was a really decent version of this game (I fear the original Elite has aged badly and Frontier was pretty pants)...

EVE here I come! :)