Sign in to follow this  
Irishjohn

Professor Layton game as a present for girlfriend?

Hello Thumbs,

I'm looking for a little advice. My girlfriend has a DS but is a good example of what marketing types see as a "casual gamer". She really likes the Brain Age games and New Super Mario Bros, but that's the limit of her experience with video games.

She commented recently that she hasn't played her DS in a while and I was thinking of getting her one of the Professor Layton games. I haven't touched them but I've heard mostly good things. What do you guys think, an appropriate present?

In the interest of making this more interesting as a thread, what games in general do you guys think are good for introducing to people that don't play all that much?

Looks like it could be interesting. The main thing would be to get something which is pick up, play, put down. It looks like Professor Layton might just fit that bill.

I would say a definite, emphatic "YES". Professor Layton was the first computer game my ex ever completed. Plus it's a really good game, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

I'm a bit annoyed by the puzzles that rely on you knowing what the art looked like before they reduced it to fit on the little NDS screen. Some of it's pretty ridiculous. But mostly the puzzles are great.

Yes, Professor Layton probably a good buy for your girlfriend. It's very easy to pick up, and has a really good aesthetic.

The wife loves professor Layton it's pretty much the only thing she's played apart from Rock Band. It's a great couples game too

Thanks lads, good advice from everyone!

I'm going to go ahead and get her the first game. Sounds like I'll be looking to play it when she's done.

those sliding puzzles are easy
That's what I used to think, until I found the impossible one. And the hints are ass like shit.

The one at the very end of the game, you mean? You'll get there, just keep plugging away at it.

No, it's the one in the bottle at the bottom of the trash pile in the alley in the secret town or whatever (I've really not been paying much attention to the story) The trash is at the top, and there are four L-shapes and a short piece, and I can't fucking get the trash down into the bottom bin. It's ridiculous, I've always just completed these puzzles by moving shit around, but with this one I can't get anywhere. In fact, for about ten seconds I was convinced I had managed to get every piece stuck at the same time.

Wow, wait until you get to the end when there's a really hard version of that puzzle. (Actually, it's sort of "extra", after you've finished the game.)

They say the trick is to make sure you're not going round in circles and just repeating your actions.