lobotomy42

Alpha Protocol

I don't know about the bugs these days, and the game definitely gave me frustrating moments, but for five quid I would pick it up for sure.

I picked it up when it was on sale for the same price from GamersGate a few weeks ago.

It's definitely worth the price IMO. I encountered a few minor bugs but nothing that forced me to do more than replay a single mission or two. The gameplay is nothing fancy (mostly competent at least though) but the dialogue system is really cool (even if I would prefer it give the player more time to decide and actually tell them what Thornton was going to say/do) and there is a very fine (in the sense of opposed to granular) field of possibilities at work.

See the "recently completed" thread for my thoughts, as I beat it yesterday. In short, I hope you got it while it was cheap, because I thought it was rad.

I'm sort of tempted to get this for the PC and then just completely cheat in order to avoid the large pitfall that everyone has described regarding the gameplay. If I just cheat my way through the combat as if it isn't there, will the story and conversations and such be interesting enough to make it worth it?

See the "recently completed" thread for my thoughts, as I beat it yesterday. In short, I hope you got it while it was cheap, because I thought it was rad.

This post exemplifies why the Recently Completed Games thread is terrible.

I'm sort of tempted to get this for the PC and then just completely cheat in order to avoid the large pitfall that everyone has described regarding the gameplay. If I just cheat my way through the combat as if it isn't there, will the story and conversations and such be interesting enough to make it worth it?

Yes and no. It's not so much that the story is particularly good, so much as the level of interactivity in the story is good. Most characters you meet in the game can, depending on your actions (or inactions) become either your ally OR your enemy by the end of the game. And they're not just units in a battlefield - they all have their own dialogue, motivations, back-story, goals, etc. But if you're not actually invested in the game part of the game, then seeing who acts with or against you is something you'll be less invested in as a player.

This post exemplifies why the Recently Completed Games thread is terrible.

Well ok then. Here you go:

Alpha Protocol complete. That game is both amazingly intelligent and ambitious, as well as incredibly stupid. I wrote in my Steam recommendation that it is all of the cheesiest scenes from the worst Bond movies, but owns that attitude in a way that I can respect. I stand by that. At the same time, the narrative structure is incredible for how much it lets you do and how many deviations it supports. I feel like I need to replay it but after just finishing a 23 hour playthrough, that will wait for a while. Still, what a great experience. It's $7.50 for another 19 hours on Steam as well, and for that it comes highly recommended. Just be prepared for some of the stupidest and most ham-fisted dialogue ever in addition to a few of the most frustrating boss fights I've ever encountered. It is both terrible and great. For the price, play this game.

(and yeah, I was Castro all the way through)