Roderick

Ebony Marshall - Zombie Pirate

(posted also on adventuregamers.com, because you're all second-rate citizen!)

Little bit of history: a few years back (I'd guesstimate in 2006) I did an internship with the infamous German adventure company Bad Brain. I had a smashing time there, and despite the bad rep online they were nice people. Afterwards I began to write and plan out an adventure that they would then publish -but of course, that never came through. The company went bust and my project got put into the fridge indefinitely. Or forever, probably.

But in the year that I wrote the script, I did make a fullblown demo, featuring one small segment typical for the rest of the game. I got a few excellent sound guys and a great background illustrator together, and animated and programmed the thing myself. Also, voiced it.

So though it's already a few years old, I'd still love to hear your comments on it, just to see the reaction to this rare little thingy (it was never published anywhere). The reason I put it up now is because I'm undertaking another big trip, this time to Hollywood, to do an internship over there. The demo is part of a portfolio site (so yes, you'll have to click through a little showreel at the beginning and then find the project in the sidebar).

Without further ado, I give you...

EBONY MARSHALL - ZOMBIE PIRATE

(Also, if you've got connections in Hollywood or LA, or want a meet-up in the neighbourhood once I'm there... just shout! :yep:)

Wait, you were Bad Brain's intern? Wow! I'd love to hear what was actually going on over there. Keirdorf always came across as well intentioned but painfully clueless on how to conduct business and PR.

Anyway, Ebony Marshall looks ridiculously professional for a home made demo. I had trouble

controlling the zombie arm

but other than that it was excellent. I'd be well up for the full game if it ever gets made.:clap:

Holy shit, is that a real concept? Bad Brain's Intern? Like, The Mystery Intern -finally uncovered? Hahaha, that would be amazing!

It's pretty much like you've assumed. Kierdorf was an incredibly enthusiastic adventure-lover, but made very weird, rather awkward decisions about how to communicate online. To be honest, in the strong adventure-industry of Germany there was a definite chance that everything could work out, but funding fell through -which can happen for a billion reasons- and it all collapsed. Personally though, I had a terrific time and learned a lot.

Thanks for your compliments on Ebony Marshall! The engine I used (Visionaire) made everything a little flakier on the gameplay-side than I would've liked, but overall I was happy with the results. I doubt it'll ever get made for real, not in the last place because I could write a far better game now than I could then, so I'd have to start from scratch. But hey, should I ever find someone willing to fund it, I'll start writing at it again :)

Holy shit, is that a real concept? Bad Brain's Intern? Like, The Mystery Intern -finally uncovered? Hahaha, that would be amazing!

It's funny you say that because that genuinely is what went through my mind as I read your post. It was known that there was an intern at Bad Brain (I think a blogger went on a tour of the office ... or something) and I honestly had wondered who this intern was and what they did. I had this fantasy that there was basically Keirdorf at one end of the room doing his internet craziness at the other end there was this intern making the game all on his own like a slave.

Hahahaha, I love it! No no no, it was more like this: Wolfgang and me would come in at some late time in the morning and I'd go work on a couple of projects: an adventure of my own making and the script for a mobile phone version of the 'Orgastic 4' game (which I always thought was a bit of a risqué concept). Wolfgang would always be busy with a thousand things all at once, switching frequently from one to the other: multiple projects, getting financing, side-businesses like being a consultant teaching people how to dress up and behave like proper businessmen, the works. And of course the PR-side. Even then I wouldn't have minded to take over the PR side and create a bit more sensible community management for Bad Brain, but I lacked the courage to propose it. You're very right that most of the time, it was just him and me in the office, sometimes backed up by a friendly German named Harry.

It was a crazy place, but there was a lot of fun and energy flying around the office, even if it might not have been the most viable way to get a business up and going. Wolfgang Kierdorf is definitely insane, most of the time in the best way possible, but with Bad Brain he might have bitten off more than even he could chew.

He was never :davidbrent: though.