vimes

Favorite Kid's Book

being younger mine will be quite different

Beyond the deepwoods (sequels as well)

n59188.jpg

I cannot think of anything else off my head, other than the obvious: Asterix, Goosebumps, Famous five, Harry Potter, and a load of graphic novels.

The drawings from the two you linked are °O°

I've been drawing cathedrals and gothic architecture for a long time now (example below) so tomorrow will have a fnac des halles moment in it...

20146560_m.jpg

Remember a lot of children's books fondly. All this talk of French ones lately reminded me of this:

514P35ZM8HL._SS500_.jpg

So for me it'll be all of Samivel's books

518F08CGP3L._SL160_.jpg

•Le joueur de flûte de Hamelin

•Ysengrin

•Goupil

•Brun l'ours

(si tu les as pas lu Vimes je te les recommande très très beaucoup !)

•Le chien bleu

livre4-2-7deb2.jpg

I'm at the office at midnight but when I go home I'll browse my library.

In The Night Garden is terrifying, I hate it. It's really creepy. I had a nightmare about it once. Scariest book I've ever read on the toilet.

On the other hand, Jo Zette et Jocko FOR THE WIN!

Jo_Zette_Jocko_karamako_wallpaper_fond_d_ecran.jpg

Auch, die unendliche Geschichte!

TheNeverendingStory1997Edition.jpg

Also loved anything by Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Hergé...

Also:

demon2.jpg

For me it would be The Man by Raymond Briggs

1fbac27a02a036dc92f78110.L.jpg

As I got a bit older I discovered my Dad's massive collection of pulp sci-fi novels. I still go back and re-read a couple of them from time to time, my favourites were Bill the Galactic Hero

2650142893_b9dd63a1f8.jpg

and The Stainless Steel Rat

2830269153_768c249ee3.jpg?v=0

both by Harry Harrison.

I'm not really sure you're talking children's book here... Not to censure or anything but y'know...

Holy shit yes Fungus the Bogeyman!! - you rule pete :)

these are some others that i loved:

my mum says this was my favourite

0467.jpg

also these winners:

444px-the_magic_faraway_tree.jpg

0394800184.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The_Lorax.jpg

i loved Seuss books - he's amazing.

"And NOW comes an act of Enormous Enormance!No former performer's performed this performance!"genius.

Holy shit and all of these:

FFmo.jpg

Hey, if anybody has that edition of the Faraway Tree that Spaff posted above, I will actually pay you as much as I can afford for it. It brings me happy memories but I have been unable to find it these days :(

being younger mine will be quite different

Beyond the deepwoods (sequels as well)

n59188.jpg

I cannot think of anything else off my head, other than the obvious: Asterix, Goosebumps, Famous five, Harry Potter, and a load of graphic novels.

This +1,000. The whole Edge Chronicles series is phenomenal. Still read them from time to time.

I also loved Chris Wooding's Broken Sky series, awesome shit, and I'm with SignorSuperDouche on The Man, what a sad story ;(

There are many more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Percy the Park Keeper or something along those lines?

This +1,000. The whole Edge Chronicles series is phenomenal. Still read them from time to time.

I read beyond and storm chaser in 3 days when I was 9

Trouble for Trumpets had some really awesome and interesting drawings. :clap:

73bde893e7a078f708a98110.L.jpg

Everyone pretend I made a horrible joke regarding the ambiguous scope of the word "favourite" in the thread title. That way I won't have to actually write it and can hate myself slightly less.

I don't really remember much of what I read and had read to me as a child. The earliest books I can remember being really into were Discworld ones and Hitch-Hiker's Guide, both of which would have been in my early teens or slightly before. When I was much younger than that I had The Hobbit read to me, which I suppose is more for children than Lord of the Rings. Anyway, it's not that I didn't read any proper children's books, or that they weren't any good; it's just that I have an appalling memory and a boring personality.

I guess I remember reading and listening to the tape version of The Hodgeheg by Dick King-Smith quite a lot. I also listened to an audiobook version of Wind in the Willows, which had some classical music (all Beethoven, I think) between all the chapters and possibly at other intervals, too. That left a lasting impression on me, and I still associate some passages of the music with lying in my bunk bed waiting to get to sleep. In retrospect, it was a great way to expose a child to "serious" music.

I also had three little books that followed different processes with a bunch of wide pictures with plentiful cut-away sections. The processes they followed were the postal system, and the manufacturing of Lego and bread. It gave the impression that the whole thing was a left-to-right progression and that a large portion of transportation happened in long metal tubes. In retrospect, they might not have been especially accurate. I really liked them, though. I liked to see how things (apparently) worked, and I think I was interested by the slightly artificial and unreal presentation. The appeal was something like that of model railways and so on, I imagine.

I don't think I actually read much, though. I was and am woefully lazy.

Oh man yes, Fungus The Bogeyman and Dr. Seuss all the way.

67dfa2c008a0b79f41e57010.L.jpg

When I was very young, this one was my favorite:

4918-ml-91818.jpg

this was the kind of shit I read as a kid:

cyoa071.jpg

We had those too. Love the magical non-decompression cover art.

Yep, played loads of Steve Jackson's books when I were a lad. I think Trial of Champions was the very first, which I found stuffed into a shelf in my secondary school library in the first year. :tup:

A lot of these covers are ringing bells. Where the Wild Things Are in particular, although if you'd just mentioned the title I wouldn't have known what you were talking about.

this was the kind of shit I read as a kid

Just how challenging were the choices?

Anyone else for Burglar Bill? How about the Funny Bones?

burglar%20bill.jpg

funny-bones.jpg

I definitely recognise Not Now, Bernard although I couldn't tell you if I enjoyed it.

That Space Vampire book looks totally awesome. There's a vampire, he's in space - what more could you possibly want?

I remember both of those! On looking up Janet and Allan Ahlberg (I recognized the name), it turns out they also did the Jolly Postman books. I think I might still have the Christmas one of those around somewhere.

For some reason their name also reminds me of a Caribbean poet who came to my first primary school and read his poetry to us. We bought his book. I think I thought it was quite exciting. I can't remember his name, though.

I just remember another book I liked as a child, but not what it was called or who it was by. It had a load of big pictures of quite expansive scenes involving lots of animals dressed in semi-formal clothes, including, most memorably, a worm who always wore a hat (a bowler hat, I think). And it had cars parked on the roofs of other cars and stuff like that. Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about? I think the author's first name might have started with an R. My description is thorough.

Funnybones got made into a TV series, right?

No, no no. I think it was an American illustrator. Not sure, though.