Sign in to follow this  
Nick

DoW2 Beta

They have said that they are going to unlock the camera. There's a lot of detail on the models, especially as you rank up in multiplayer and unlock new armour for your squads. The later unlocks will supposedly pimp your army to the max.

It's a different game to DoW, but I think I now enjoy it more. It just takes a moment to adjust. Space Marines I found are the most different as they are so expensive and losing a dude really hurts. But later on they are just insanely tough if you've managed to keep them alive.

I wish they'd unlock it in the other direction. As someone who didn't play tons of DOW and COH, it is shocking how up-close I feel. Especially when I'm running the game in 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor--it just seems insane that I can only see such a tiny part of the field at any given moment. I'm constantly trying to zoom out.

If you're interested in experimenting Chris, there was a wee hack with CoH (that I found essential) that allowed you to zoom out as far as you wanted. I'll see if I can locate it.

starcraft-2-disgustingly-huge-zerg-rush.jpg

holy shit. Imagine if they were genestealers.

Aaaaanyway, it's nice that the units aren't body bags on wheels and your defences don't instantly implode on contact with the enemy. Graphics are nice, game runs smoothly, loads fast, no lag... but the maps (seem) really small and I can't accurately tell friend from foe at a glance - a problem that's made twice as difficult when people mix and match races within teams.

The gameplay also seems extremely focused on Victory Point grabbing. It feels as if you have to play it in a very particular, meticulous way - from day one, and from the moment the game starts. It doesn't feel as complete or as varied an experience as it was in COH, and from what little I've played so far it's just not clicking for me. I'm guessing I'm jumping the gun and it grows on you eventually but first impressions are 'hmm' :D

holy shit. Imagine if they were genestealers.

Oh, I wish. They should make a Total War version like the Epic version of the table-top game.

Is that pic of Starcraft for comparison?

Nope. I know better than to make comparisons with Chris Remo around;

MrChaz: "Also Tyranid army is an over statement. I want hordes genestealers dammit"

You've lost me then, because that is a pic of Starcraft 2.

Have I missed the point entirely? :getmecoat

I want hordes genestealers

imagine if they were genestealers

Whilst writing my post I'd noticed the screenshot on the gaming blogs. There's definitely no comparison going on, as (officially) Dawn of War 2 is nothing compared to StarCraft 2.

Aaaaanyway...

MrChaz: "Also Tyranid army is an over statement. I want hordes genestealers dammit"

What...?

Also, with regard to that RPS link--Jesus Christ. I really hate to say this, but the number of times I've seen Continental European game journalists ask inane and/or insane and/or pointlessly inflammatory questions at press events is just off the charts. It is incredibly bizarre and I frequently feel bad for the developers who have to deal with it.

Valkyria Chronicles compared to Crysis

Also, with regard to that RPS link--Jesus Christ. I really hate to say this, but the number of times I've seen Continental European game journalists ask inane and/or insane and/or pointlessly inflammatory questions at press events is just off the charts. It is incredibly bizarre and I frequently feel bad for the developers who have to deal with it.

No matter how many times I read that link I end up laughing out loud. The guy even makes an appearance in the comments section of the article, bullish as ever. Still, can't deny the man has a point.

But Starcraft is a different thing. Starcraft is Starcraft!

Shotgun scouts ftw.

Also, due to my innate fear of anything different I've only really played the Space Marine Force Commander.

My box is comfortable and I enjoy living in it.

Shotgun scouts ftw.

Also, due to my innate fear of anything different I've only really played the Space Marine Force Commander.

My box is comfortable and I enjoy living in it.

I'm the same way at this point, but with the Orks. I'm already not awesome at this game, so I'm sure as soon as I try a difference race it will just be a disaster.

Spent most of this morning waiting for the Dawn of War II beta to download, via Steam. Finally got the thing installed, but it wouldn't start--crash report window every time I tried to launch it.

So I downloaded and installed the Games for Windows Live* software, patched it for Windows XP as required by MS, then tried again; same thing, crash report window immediately after trying to launch.

Last thing to try was reverting Steam from the beta client back to the standard software. Reboot for good measure and still the same thing.

You know, this - plus the perpetual hardware paper-chase - is what made me ditch PC gaming a couple of years ago. It's horse-shit and I can't stand it. :frusty:

* After a couple of weeks easy livin' on Windows 7, it suddenly developed HDD errors. So I had to completely twat my PC (remove all partitions, rebuild, reformat, and then reinstall everything) on Monday.

I hope you all play this game because I can hardly bring myself to bother reading, must less post at, shacknews right now.

pmchem on GFWL if anyone wants to friend me for games ; please mention you're from idle thumbs.

New patch out.

Basically I'm now screwed as I had a complete inability to produce tank killing shit mid-game and all vehicles just got a decent hp/damage reduction buff.

Also, my shotgun scout back bone!

New patch out.

Basically I'm now screwed as I had a complete inability to produce tank killing shit mid-game and all vehicles just got a decent hp/damage reduction buff.

Also, my shotgun scout back bone!

Yeah, my Ork strategy was heavily infantry-dependent so I'm having to adjust quite a bit post-patch.