Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Kohl advert uses LeChuck's theme?

Oh yeah, Doug made this discovery independently last night and showed me the audio. It's the worst! :(

You know, I'm thinking that it can't even be an accident, because why would they use such an evil sounding theme for a christmas sale?

Only the first measure of the repeating sequence is identical in note values, and it's still not identical rhythmically, and the other measures are either somewhat or fully different. It's not a particularly unusual chord progression so I don't see it as at all unlikely that someone happened to create a similar melody on top. Stuff like that happens all the time.

You know, I'm thinking that it can't even be an accident, because why would they use such an evil sounding theme for a christmas sale?

It's only really evil in a goofy way, and I'd say it's a lot less sinister than, for example, the Carol of the Bells.

Wow... I just youtubed for Carol of the Bells and that is incredibly sinister sounding.

I'd still like to think that there's a Monkey Island fan out there somewhere trying to slip MI references into a kohl department store TV advert :)