Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Pirate crack-down catches non-pirates...

I never really understood if people actually get convicted for copyright infringement on these sporadic raids or if companies just randomly subpoena people based on their IP address in order to make everyone afraid of file sharing. At least in the US that's what it seems like.

For instance, 4-5 years back the RIAA was going nuts, but I really didn't know or talk to anyone personally who had to go to court over owning copyright MP3s even though there was tons of talk about it. People on Soulseek became super paranoid about making their files readily available but did anyone actually get into real trouble? It seemed like you could easily get the court case dropped either way as the article says, you can't actually be convicted unless they have undeniable proof: your hard drive.

Kind of like that silly truancy thing they started my senior year of high school in Texas where they send you to court for missing x days of school or more, yet it seemed random on who they actually chose to go to court, seemingly targeting some kids who had only missed 3 days and bypassing kids who may have been gone for weeks. Not to mention when you go to court you miss another day. In the end I think it was just yet another scare tactic.

Also good for Pirate Bay for inserting red herrings. Don't get me wrong... I think people should definitely pay someone or some company they support, but in a case like Fallout 3, this is a game with tons of hype and millions of dollars involved, which will no doubt attract fringe users who will never care to pay. It's only natural that such a big money game publishers and developers will be the first to make sure every last dollar goes into their moneyhole. I don't feel sorry for Atari or Bethesda, piracy happens for multiple reasons that everyone here knows, no need to be a jerk about it and send random households to court.

In a landmark case in August, games firm Topware Interactive won more than £16,000 following legal action against Londoner Isabella Barwinska who shared a copy of the game Dream Pinball 3D.

Sucks... especially for THAT game.

Fucking hell... they used Two Worlds as the licence for a pinball machine?!

That sucks Remo's balls (apparently).