Thrik

SCi and Eidos fun

Today SCI reports that it has in fact just signed a deal with the entertainment wing of Time Warner -- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment -- to the tune of $170 million USD. The cash infusion will take the form of 171,605,424 recently created shares, placed on the market by SCi as a method of raising funds.
Inside sources have informed 1UP that Eidos's entire PR, marketing, and sales department has been laid off as part of the deal with Warner Bros.

Heh. :~ Always sad to see industry jobs lost en masse. It could be you!

Yeah, seeing people in marketing without a job break my heart.

To paraphrase Bill Hicks:

If any of you work in marketing, kill yourselves now.

I was under the impression a good few Idle Thumbs guys are involved in PR/marketing/sales. I know some perfectly good people in those types of roles, too.

That maybe so, I've just never liked what marketing entails and would never encourage anyone to go into that side of any business.

Everyone I've ever worked with who has been involved in the marketing aspect of the company I was in was always full of so much shit that I never felt like I could trust them.

Having also dealt with Eidos in previous years, I'm not too sad that a lot of them have gotten the sack.

Marketing can be a shit magnet, but you do get some good people in it who do a good job, a bit of marketing is always needed but sadly advertising budgets have the essence of a "prisoner’s dilemma" game.

Everyone is better off if they only spend a bit on it, but if one company spends more on it they reap huge benefits and those that don't match the spending are fucked, so everyone is forced to spend too much on it.

I was under the impression a good few Idle Thumbs guys are involved in PR/marketing/sales. I know some perfectly good people in those types of roles, too.

Baaah. That's not really the point of Hick's comment. He of course knew there were some perfectly normal, nice people working in marketing. He was just trying to draw our attention to the way marketing, as a whole, cheapens things and, generally speaking, has no soul.

Or as he put it: "Quit putting a price tag on everything!"

As far as I know none of us are (and never have been).

Edit: Except for Dan apparently... who doesn't count ¬¬

I briefly worked in a third-party online marketing department. Good, clever marketing benefits everybody as it can both inform and entertain. Unfortunately most marketing managers (like managers everywhere) are not clever, and so they approach the problem with brute force instead. In the end the buerocracy got too much for me and I quit.

Baaah. That's not really the point of Hick's comment. He of course knew there were some perfectly normal, nice people working in marketing. He was just trying to draw our attention to the way marketing, as a whole, cheapens things and, generally speaking, has no soul.

Or as he put it: "Quit putting a price tag on everything!"

I think that's more you injecting your own thoughts into his words. It seemed like a fairly clear "All marketers suck!" comment with little room for misinterpretation to me. ;

His subsequent post did of course clear up his intentions, though. :tup:

Thunderpeel was referring to the context of the quote I used by Bill Hicks.

Yeah, sorry Thrik I come on a little strong when it comes to my oppinions on marketing peeps. Same problem Dan had/has, there is far too many weird unspoken bullshit politics... Sorry to generalise but it is a little like the brown duck theory. If you only see marketing guys who are full of shit then you start to think they all are.

It is heartless but I still remember the time I made one of our PR people cry in a crowded pub with a certain amount of fondness.