Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

The history of the unreleased HHGTTG sequel..

milliways_dontpanic-20080417-175138.jpg

From an anonymous source close to the company, I've found myself in possession of the "Infocom Drive" — a complete backup of Infocom's shared network drive from 1989. This is one of the most amazing archives I've ever seen, a treasure chest documenting the rise and fall of the legendary interactive fiction game company. Among the assets included: design documents, email archives, employee phone numbers, sales figures, internal meeting notes, corporate newsletters, and the source code and game files for every released and unreleased game Infocom made.

For obvious reasons, I can't share the whole Infocom Drive. But I have to share some of the best parts. It's just too good.

So let's start with the most notorious — Milliways: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, the unreleased sequel to Infocom's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. For the first time, here's the full story: with never-before-seen design documents, internal emails, and two playable prototypes. Sit back, this might take a while.

http://waxy.org/2008/04/milliways_infocoms_unreleased_sequel_to_hitchhikers_guide_to_the_galax/

I haven't read this all yet, but it seems really interesting so far :)

In a voyeuristic sense that was both interesting and entertaining but I'm not sure I agree with your comment about Bywater, at least not regarding this issue.

As a guy who grew up on the HHGG game I certainly find this article fascinating, but I've got to admit I wouldn't exactly be thrilled if confidential e-mails of mine were aired bereft of context, regardless of how much time had passed.

He comes across as arrogant and bitter but I would echo the comment above. Unwilling to go back on his comments he seems to have dug himself into a hole - hence the increasing number of jerkoff comments.

Interesting article. Part of me would have liked to see this game made, but then again Douglas Adams wrote the amazing Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency while spurning Infocom. And the partial walkthrough of Bywater's plans sounded idiotic and random on all levels as opposed to the hilarious masochism of the original. Creating a non-intuitive first puzzle that screws the player over if actually solved? No thanks.