Tanukitsune

Upgrading? (The "I really want to play Bioshock but don't want a 360" thread)

The only reason I can't play Bioshock on my PC is because my GPU can only support Pixel Shader 2.0...

But a 60-70€ GPU will give me the power needed for this game, but the real issue is... why stop there?

I can upgrade my CPU from a Athlon 64 3500+ to a 4600+ or similar, but would it be worth it? I'd be getting 2 X 2,400 instead of 1 X 2,200, but would the difference be that noticeable? :erm:

Before spending some money, try ShaderShock patches for 2.0 card with the demo.You'll get the game running but you'll also get longer loading times and you'll need to see if the performances are alright for you... it's worth the try though.

I know I only need the graphic card, I was just wondering if a CPU upgrade would make any noticeable difference on my PCs overall performance.

It's not that I'm upgrading JUST to get BioShock, it's just a very good reason to get an upgrade! :mock:

I've just started playing Bioshock on the 360, and it's well worth whatever you have to do to be able to play it =) I'm having such a good time, my brain is collapsing in on itself.

CPU upgrades are only really useful for things like photoshop or for games like Total War, Company of Heroes or Supreme Commander, where a lot of mathematics goes on in the background for calculating trajectories etc between large groups of things. For FPS's you're best off spending the money on graphics power, especially with Bioshock.

If you're interested, I'm thinking of selling my AGP X1900XTX card (with an Arctic Cooling X2 for quietness). That played Bioshock at 1680x1050 with hardly any problems.

Hmm, maybe I should get some cooling system or a fan instead of the CPU then?

You do know I live in Spain, right? Shipping should be... expensive... The rates went up a lot this year.... :(

I guess I'll just get the graphic card and some RAM then? :mock:

Well, why get something that you don't need in the case of the CPU and RAM? Although I'd recommend 2gb if you don't already have it. There are some nice budget cards around that will play Bioshock quite happily and I think the X1950 has come down a lot in price since I got mine. Extremely nice card though, just a bit big :S.

I don't mind shipping it if you don't mind paying it :P

How much? My sister can get me one super cheap if she orders it in name of her company! :mock:

My PC died today! (Thank God for lappies) :hah:

So I decided to get me a whole new PC since upgrading and reparing it would cost just about the same....

Just one thing, does anybody know if they actually translated Bioshock? I'd hate to buy the Spanish version and find out it's in Spanish ONLY! XP

I can always get it of Steam... :P