Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

BSG: Razor

It was pretty good. I can see how it would be appealing to go "back to basics" before the crazy psychelic ride that looks to be Season 4. And as a symbol of that, the old model Cylon soldiers were great.

And jesus, I had forgotten what a psycho bitch Admiral Kain was.

As for the mysterious stuff

the voice of the Hybrid was great, really scary. It reminded me of the voice of the Monolith in STALKER.

What were the experiments though? is the hybrid really a human/cylon hybrid? (which isn't what the skinjobs have claimed to be at all), or were the experiments a reverse-engineering humans so that they could make their own?

Also more fuel for the Starbuck = cylon theory.

To be honest I'm getting kind of confused by the huge number of projects that the Cylons apparently have going on (the farms, the experiments shown in Razor, the attempted destruction of humanity, etc.), as well as the huge number of entities within the Cylon mythology (male Hybrid, female Hybrid significant seven, final five, Hera). I'm basically getting less and less interested in that part of the show.

That said, Razor was pretty interesting in a fairly understated kind of way. Nice of them to paint in some more details before going forward in season 4.

Well, the cylon part has always provided the mystery elements of the show. And the problem with mystery elements is that you have to keep providing new ones, or stretch out the existing ones (see: Lost).

I'm guessing that the male hybrid was, like the Sharon cylon said, a prototype of the female hybrids and a stepping-stone in the evolution of cylons from machines to organic beings. He seems to have the clairevoyance-type thing going on that the female hybrids do too, although he is more coherent.

I really liked it, but was disappointed to lose the flashbacks to Cain's past as a young girl (which supposedly explain just why she's a psycho bitch and more specifically what's up with her obsession with that knife/razor). "Buy the DVD!" they say. Eh.

I'm not sure there was much point to revisiting Cain and co.--we didn't learn anything new, in terms of the universe or in terms of drama, I think--but it was fun anyway. Lots of nice explosions, the new actress who played Shaw stood her ground well enough, and yeah, the return of the original Centurions was great (not as good as in the web flashbacks where young Adama wrestles with one in mid-air after ejecting from his fighter, though!).

The whole thing with Starbuck at the end also seemed a bit tagged in, but it was also fun (and that hybrid was creepy as hell) so whatever.

So, I only got up to episode 16 (I think) of season 3 before losing interest. Am I going to need to watch the rest of season 3, and then Razor, to enjoy season 4 do you think?

At least the last four episodes of season 3, probably (Malestrom, The Son Also Rises, Crossroads I and II).

Razor is pretty standalone (or at least I suspect it will be) and the middle episodes of season 3 (Taking a Break..., The Woman King, A Day in the Life, Dirty Hands) are much like the middle episodes of season two in that they are mostly bad and have little impact on the overall plot. (I can summarize them: Lee and Kara stop fucking, Helo shows us all that racism is bad, Adama hallucinates his dead wife, and Tyrol reorganizes the union that we saw him leading on New Caprica for all of ten seconds.)

OK, much appreciated gents. :tup:

It sounds like I've made it through most of the chuff already, so I'll just pick up season 3 from episode 17 onwards.