Sign in to follow this  
Jayel

Hidden and Dangerous could've been great

I played the deluxe version a bit when it was released as a freeware last year.

It's a stealthy squad based tactical shooter. It's my kind of game, and it would've been one of my favourite game of all time, except the AI ruined it. I couldn't play through more than 4 missions because I couldn't stand the horrible horrible AI.

What's wrong with its AI? For one, it can aim remarkably well. It can spot you in the dark even when the player can't see the enemy.

AND (get this) it can see beyond the game engine's draw distance. and still aim remarkably well.

stupid.

Ever since Metal Gear solid came out I think by large the AI programming has improved vastly from what it was previously though. How old is this game?

According to Mobygames, 1999. Which is a year after MGS. And Rainbow Six.

they never bothered to fix this problem. Even after numerous patches and one DELUXE edition.

I'm pretty sure the sequel suffers from the same problem.

H&D2 does indeed suffer from odd AI quirks, but nothing near the hellish torture that was H&D1, which I absolutely loved when it came out. Loved 2 even more. The omniscient enemies are now gone, so no more getting pegged by the invisible guy a mile away. I don't recall an enemy ever unrealistically seeing me. In my opinion, it fixed most of the problems, or at least improved them, from the first one and made a few new ones, as is often the case with sequels and such. But by and large, H&D2 (in my opinion) is an excelent game that I had no trouble with looking past its flaws. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for bitch-slapping Nazis. Again.

And again.

I wanna play it again now. But there is just that one freakin' level. A sneaking level where you can't really sneak. My biggest complaint. So just to warn you, don't be all super psyched about a perfect game. It is flawed, I just personally enjoyed it very, very much. And give it a while to get used to the controls. They really threw me for a while. But give it a bit and you'll be slaying the Hun righteously.

I've been playing the single player demo for the past two days. I'm appalled by its poor AI. Enemies run into walls and continue running in a spot, team members show three stooges syndrome by getting stuck in the doorways. And it has numerous control issues under commands mode.

Maybe the patches fixed the problems.

In any case, I'll wait until it hits the bargain bins.

Strange. I don't remember any of that at all. Terribly sorry for misleading you.

That's just wierd. I can remember quite proficient pathfinding. Easily opening doors and hopping over fences, and navigating hallways after I tagged one of them with my "silenced" rifle. I'll try and boot it up again today and refresh my memory.

Sorry again.

Or maybe I won't. Stupid bugger won't install. Which is weird because this is the same comp. Nothing has changed. Maybe it didn't un-install all the way.

Damn you Murphy. And your law.

It won't let you reinstall? that's interesting.

I've found some programs that just doesn't install twice.

Microsoft embedded device development tools for example. For some reason once I uninstall it from a computer, the next time I run setup the program crashes. Something in the registry, I'd bet.

I finished playing the demo yesterday. I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I discovered a lot more bugs on the way. For example, the number of grenade I have is always displayed wrong (5/5, even if I have none), the pathfinding is adequate, but sometimes they get stuck around the obstacles. Teammates would sometimes waste an entire round of bullets against brick walls. "Follow" command is very buggy and sometimes make teammates to wander off somewhere very distant. "Close door" command sometimes doesn't work, and makes the teammates get stuck on the door frames.

And half the times, the teammates would be facing the opposite direction of where the action is and get shot in the back.

etc.

If they want our money, they really shouldn't release a buggy demo.

BUT whatever, it's still a fun game.