Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Splinter Cell: Double Anal

So, I pirated Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Good thing I did, too -- the game is such a buggy piece of shit it's ridiculous. Now it seems I have to get the Xbox360 to play both this and Conviction -- sorry -- ConViction.

Anyway, stuff like this, where it's so obvious that the PC version is some half-assed afterthought, annoys me to no end. It's like they have all the levels and graphics and get some hack to make it just work on the PC, and then:

• Just map the controller buttons randomly to the keyboard
  • Don't change any UI elements so that using, say, a mouse makes any sense. Navigating menus has to feel like navigating 90s DVDs.
  • Just barely cover up all the console references.
  • Go fuck yourselves, Ubisoft.

...I missed your thread titles. :shifty:

As for DA, I quite liked the chunks that I played. However, it seemed a lot harder this time around. I beat 1, 2, and 3 no problem. DA started kicking my ass around mission 5 and wouldn't let up until I caved in. But yeah, I was playing on 360, as consoles have always felt more suited to stealth games to me.

I share your sentiment, I recently downloaded the game as well after contemplating a purchase. It took me a few hours to figure out how to get it to run properly on my video card, and upon actually playing the game, was very disappointed.

I loved Chaos Theory, but this game doesn't even deserve the Splinter Cell name. It doesn't "feel" like the others do at all.

Whoa, how did this get past the federales?

Anyway, I just finished this after getting it for the Xbox 360, playing about a third, then packing the Xbox for moving and being unable to use it for almost half a year, and finally unpacking it and playing the last two thirds these last weeks.

:tdown: All the Splinter Cell developers seem to think that Splinter Cell gameplay is great, but for a proper end game, nothing beats a good shootout. Splinter Cell is about the sneaking around and hiding under desks, crawling through vents and throwing people overboard. It's about making your way through a city ravaged by civil war by keeping to the rooftops and zip-lining across exploding buses. It's about rappelling down a Hong Kong skyscraper with fireworks going off around you and the drunk inside looking funny at his bottle as you pass by. It's about entering a bad guy's hotel suite through a bathroom window and without being noticed putting all his bodyguards in the jaccuzi. So why do all the Splinter Cells end with having to gun down bad guys with limited ammo and defuse the bomb before the timer reaches zero? Why can't it be something to do with fucking sneaking?

:tup: The prison and Hong Kong levels were awesome, and almost enough to make this a great game. They should have less crappy levels and more epic shit like this in the next games.

:tmeh: The new undercover missions are sort of cool, but I hate time limits.

:tdown: I don't get the whole trust thing. Everything was built around "trust", and keeping the two different sides happy. I later find out this is only used to determine which of the three endings you get.

:tmeh::tmeh::tmeh: I don't know why I played this game to completion, and liked it. Looking back there are only a select few things I loved, and for the most part it was pretty boring. This better be the last Splinter Cell game like all the others, though.

Also, achievements are like a drug. I'd press the A button a thousand times if it got me an achievement.

Resource management evaluation:

They should've:

• Dropped multiplayer
  • Dropped the undercover missions
  • Made two / three more epic levels like Hong Kong

Now I'm going to play Assassin's Creed, which I'm really looking forward to. I played about an hour before putting it back on hold to complete Splinter Cell, but I loved what I played. It was beautiful and the controls felt great, and being chased by guards everywhere was awesome.

Wow, totally missed this thread in 2007. Fantastic title, by the way. Don't ever stop, Toblix.

But I played Double Agent on the 360 until about... mission 4, which is the snow/tanker mission? At that point I kinda lost interest. For no real reason, actually. It just didn't catch me as the first game had.

By the way, I'm also looking forward to playing Assassin's Creed. I played it when it came out and loved it. I don't give a crap about all the critique there is, justified or not. The atmosphere is just freaking great and the tactile sensation almost unparallelled.

"the tactile sensation almost unparallelled"

:erm: what do you mean ?

It was an overwrought way of sayng you really feel immersed in the environment; like when Altair climbs up stuff. The cities feel... like you're touching them :grin:

Ahh, ok. The I agree with you on this point :)

But on the whole,Assassin's Creed felt like giving an awesome toy to an unimaginative child : watching the result was impressively unentertaining.

But I played Double Agent on the 360 until about... mission 4, which is the snow/tanker mission? At that point I kinda lost interest. For no real reason, actually. It just didn't catch me as the first game had.

Exactly the same experience for me. And I played and loved all 3 previous Splinter Cells, so I don't know what it was that made me stop.