Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Any online CCGs of note?

I've an urge - more a primal need, actually - to sate my long-dorment collectible card game (CCG) lust.

The last game I played semi-seriously (and quite successfully) was the Aliens vs. Predator CCG at the end of the 90's, but I'd played a lot of Magic: The Gathering with friends before then and enjoyed that too.

I'd really like to find a good online CCG to play now, and was wondering if anyone knew (would admit to knowing?) one that's worth trying out.

Only stipulation is it must be free--at least to try. And browser-based too, idealy.

I honestly can't tell you if it's worthwhile or not, but I've seen "Star Chamber" praised. I think you get some starter deck with it initially (for free), but getting extra packs obviously costs money. That was a while ago though. And searching for it online, it looks like now it's a Sony thing (?)... must have been purchased or something (was independent before)

http://starchamber.station.sony.com/

(As a side note: not really free, but I can't wait for Culdcept Saga for the 360)

So I'm reviving this thread because I saw that the new Duels of the Planewalkers game is going t have drafting in it, which makes me really want to get it.  Havign a sealed format makes the game completely different and I imagine it will be the most popular form of multiplayer in the game.

There's a bunch of CCG-like stuff on the horizon.

Cardhunter, a mix between CCG and tactical miniatures game is currently in beta. I find it quite enjoyable, though a bit grindy and the variety leaves something to be desired.

The kickstarter for Hex was successful, and the game looks pretty interesting. The PA guys (or Jerry at least) liked it. Includes drafts!

Scrolls just entered open beta. Also a CCG/tactical battle hybrid.