toblix

A Thread About The Nintendo Wii

I have now played some Wii games (Sports and WarioWare) and it's totally awesome. Next on the list is Banana Blitz, but then what? What are the totally awesome Wii games coming out other than Mario Party 8, which I think will be fun, not having read anything about it or played a Mario Party game ever?

I anticipate the new Mario Party to kick all kinds of ass indeed. Last weekend I played 4 again, which has the most boring boards of all the instalments, but damn good minigames nonetheless, and it was awesome. Imagine what four WiiRemotes could do.

Other Wii games that I've played that are good are obviously Zelda, but also, surprisingly, Excite Truck. It gets mediocre reviews all around (in fact, I'm giving it a 7,5 in the next [N]Gamer myself), but that's mostly because there's really only the singleplayer game to do and not many tracks. But the game itself is severely ass-kicking and exhilirating to play.

The two biggest upcoming names are Sonic and the Secret Rings and Super Paper Mario (a delayed/ported GCN title). Both look to be pretty good, but the ones I'm really waiting for (Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Fire Emblem) are going to be a long time coming.

Also, Konami just unveiled Dewey's Adventure from the Elebits team. It looks kinda cool, but I haven't played Elebits yet. Speaking of which, Elebits is out.

I don't know, man. Right now we're getting the "post-launch shovelware," as they say in the biz. (That biz being "commenting on internet forums.")

So...yeah. I'd say the really good stuff is still further down the pipeline.

I'm anticipating something similar to what we saw with the DS. The first 9 months or so will be mostly just the developers feeling the system out, then around late August the really kickass stuff will start to hit. There will be brief flashes of awesome before then, but the system will really come into its own towards the later end of the year. For now, Rayman, Trauma Center, and Warioware are your guaranteed good. Elebits is fun but not quite up to its potential. I'd still reccommend it, but don't expect the world of it. Sonic's out this week, so check some reviews. As for Zelda, I know it's really not your thing from what you've played, and honestly this is a fanservice re-do of Ocarina of Time. I enjoyed it immensely, but I love OoT. I'd give it a rental at least and see if you can get a feel for it. It's a fantastic Zelda, but that may not mean a whole lot to you.

It's a fantastic Zelda, but that may not mean a whole lot to you.

Hey, I have a hard, raging erection for Zelda, but only 2D Zelda.

And maybe pretty 3D Zelda, but I have yet to see one. I'm hoping, though, that there has been some up-beefing of the graphics from Ocarina of Time to Flute of Eternity, or whatever in the fuck they call the Wii Zelda.

I anticipate the new Mario Party to kick all kinds of ass indeed. Last weekend I played 4 again, which has the most boring boards of all the instalments, but damn good minigames nonetheless, and it was awesome. Imagine what four WiiRemotes could do.

Other Wii games that I've played that are good are obviously Zelda, but also, surprisingly, Excite Truck. It gets mediocre reviews all around (in fact, I'm giving it a 7,5 in the next [N]Gamer myself), but that's mostly because there's really only the singleplayer game to do and not many tracks. But the game itself is severely ass-kicking and exhilirating to play.

How are the controls for Excite Truck? I hate GT Pro Series for the Wii so much I'll probably sell it for the horrid controls! :frusty:

I think I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't enjoy Rayman. ;(

It felt too me like the minigames weren't engaging enough to try to shave any real time off of, and the dancing minigame, compared to Guitar Hero and other better-done rhythm games, just felt silly.

I love Warioware and am also looking forward to the new Mario games (Galaxy, Paper Mario, etc.)

I'm also hoping, perhaps unrealisticly, for some good, stylish Japanese RPGs made from 2nd party companies. I'm hoping the PS3 does badly enought that Square etc. invests in the Wii. I think they said something about it earlier this year. But either way, I'm also looking forward to FF:Crystal Chronicals for the Wii.

The controls in Excite Truck are pretty solid. I haven't played the Ubisoft racers but apparently they suck bigtime. Their monster truck game looks extremely bland, with boring tracks. Excite Truck is a whole lot of fun to play, if you can look past the pretty skinny package with piss-poor multiplayer options.

I was given GT Pro Series for Christmas and the controls really aren't that bad once you get the hang of them. Still, when I played the demo Excite Truck at EB, I was able to immediately grasp it. GT Pro Series took hours. And the gaming experience afterwards really wasn't worth it anyway.