Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Where's the FF love?

I'll just come right out and say it: I've never played a Final Fantasy game.

They just haven't ever really appealed to me. I watched a friend get really obsessive about FFVII when that came out for PC, but just couldn't see the draw myself. I've played plenty of other turn-based 2D Japanese RPGs though -- Chrono Trigger being about the pinnacle (for me).

However, for some reason I'm getting really excited about the Nintendo DS rerelease of Final Fantasy III. Maybe it's the art style, maybe it's the spiffy new 3D graphics, maybe it's my near-complete frustration with a lot of other, more mainstream game genres on the market at the moment. But something about that game really gets the juices flowing.

Anyone else feeling it... or am I just weird?

I was pretty "stoked" too, especially when the screenshots and movies started coming out; but the more I thought about it, the more I felt that maybe I won't enjoy FF3. The oldest FF I've played is 4, and FF3 has a world and plot like that but with the jobs system you see in FF5 and X-2. While I absolutely love the jobs system, and classic FF combat, the plot and setting of the NES FF games isn't all that hot compared to what's available after the 16-odd years of developments in RPGs since the original release.

Final Fantasy III for the Nintendo DS features overhauls to the job system, including the rebalancing of the classes, the addition of new abilities, a new "Freelancer" class that becomes the default job for the characters at the beginning of the game (the Onion Knight is now a secret class), new events, a new crystal and dungeon, and the removal of capacity points. Unlike the original Famicom version, most of the jobs remain useful for the entire game; the ultimate jobs, the Ninja and the Sage, were redesigned so they have the same level of abilities as the Warrior and others.

Sounds like the developers have worked hard to make the jobs system much more worthwhile throughout the game. :tup:

I've never liked the jobs system in any RPG. I like my RPGs straight-up and linear.

But I'm still gonna check out FF3 on DS.

FFXII I'm a little more cautious about...everything I read about it sounds awful, but then everyone says it's a great game.

...everything I read about it sounds awful, but then everyone says it's a great game.

That's what they said about Terrible Center!

FFXII I'm a little more cautious about...everything I read about it sounds awful, but then everyone says it's a great game.

Funny, I heard quite the opposite. Everyone was giving it incredible reviews and it was supposed to one of the best RPGs ever according to quite a few magazines.

I'm hyped for III, but indifferent towards XII. Maybe it's that I never played X or X-2, and have played all the others up to that point. (excluding III of course) If XII is supposed to be amazing, I'll give it a look. Otherwise, I should probably play at least X first.

I heard that in XII you can pretty much automate the combat sequences ... leaving the player to pretty much do nothing, right? I mean, whenever I've brought up my "FF isn't actually a game" argument, people always say, "the combat is where the interaction is at", and now, err .....

SiN

A mere human being, which deals in false justice and forsaken love, cannot hope to understand FF games.

Final Fantasy games are crap.

There, I said it. I hate to admit it...but I honestly just can't stand them. I've tried 1, 4, 6, 7, and 9 and I never finished any of them. Out of all them, 1 annoyed me the least. (Since it at least had no pretensions about what it was.)

I suppose it's possible that I could be proven wrong. I was kinda stoked for 12 for awhile, but then I remembered that it was a Final Fantasy game (and heard about the lead designer leaving Square mid-development), and I lost it. I was also excited for 3, but then, once again, I remembered that I kinda hate the series.

For that matter, I can't think of a single Square-Enix game I didn't hate.

I beat FF1 and 2. I kinda liked them. (My last post was a play on what the end boss actually says in FF2)

ALTHOUGH I wouldn't have enjoyed them as much if it weren't for the save-anywhere feature found only on GBA remake. I'm currently playing (in any spare time I can squeeze through) FF4 remake for GBA, but it has the traditional console style save which is frustrating.

For that matter, I can't think of a single Square-Enix game I didn't hate.

Absolutely. I even went back to play that Mario RPG for SNES game that never got released in Australia. Conclusion? It was a good idea that it never got released in Australia. Oh, I went there. I find it hilarious that people think it has a deep, involving story, which involves some cloud-looking person discovering that he's not actually a frog even though he's lived with frogs his whole life. That's quality storytelling right there. *cough*

Enix games, though, that's another matter entirely. Terranigma, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia are awesome. And I'm loving Rocket Slime. More games like that please.

Enix games, though, that's another matter entirely. Terranigma, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia are awesome. And I'm loving Rocket Slime. More games like that please.

Just gonna jump in here and sidetrack this topic a bit.

Rocket Slime is fucking fantastic. I get happy every time I sit down to play it. So cute. That is all.