Sign in to follow this  
n0wak

Cursing in Battlestar Galactica

Just a note, I'm watching this on Space in Canada and we're behind (I'm just at the part when Ensign fucking Ro shows up!). I specifically avoided the other thread, so no spoilers please.

FRAK

Is it me or has the use of "frak" as a curse-substitute really gotten out of hand on this show? In the first few episodes, you'd hear it once in a while. Mostly in passing through some loud mouthed rant or some in-action scene. The first few times I heard it I actually thought they said "frag", partly because it was in battle. This season, though, they seem to use it all the time and it's becoming a little rediculous. I can understand why, on TV, you wouldn't want to say "fuck," but there are ways around that without resorting to search and replace. Like better dialogue.

The second I heard them use "mother frak", the whole thing just fell apart on itself. I can't take the characters' anger seriously anymore if they use "frak". It's become a joke, and I'm sure it has to the writers (you just know some dude was snickering when he penned "mother frak.") Am I the only one?

I don't mind "frak" so much (for the most part the actors pull it off) but "motherfrakker" is a bit too much for me.

I found it mildly amusing. I hasn't bothered me overly so far, although I'm quite far behind on season 2.

I think most of the really serious moments don't use it too much. It's more the light hearted "man I'm pissed" types of angry moments.

oh yeah, I remember seeing the pilot (or the miniseries) and the first time a character said "frak" I was trying very hard to discern what I had just heard. I thought I misheard "fuck", but then they wouldn't show that on TV...

Yes, it's very distracting and in my opinion it undermines the seriousness of the show.

I didn't mind it at all at first. But I have gotten annoyed with it more in season 2. They should really limit its use.

Oh, by the way, they did use the word frak in the original BSG. True dat.

I wonder what the show would be like if they were on HBO and really said fuck. It would happen much more often, I can tell you that.