Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Football games with strategy-like gameplay

I have played only a fraction of all the football (soccer) games ever made, and none of the management games, but to my knowledge, there has never been one where you could control all of the player's of your team, not just the one with the ball.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a football game that was controlled like a role-playing or strategy game? Like Baldur's Gate for example -- you could pause the action at any time and give orders to players. Some player's could have special skills etc.

Well... Championship Manager is kinda like that, with the stats and all that jazz. Though of course, you don't actually have direct control over the players there, but that would get annoying anyway with 11 characters under your control.

I don't mean that you'd have to control all the 11 guys all the time. There'd still be AI of course, but you'd have more strategic tactical control and if you wanted, you could override the AI with your own commands.

So many times playing FIFA I've been frustrated that there's no way to get the ball where I want to in certain situations or I can't get the player's to the positions I want them to be at etc.

I think there was a game with the captain tsubasa licence which was similar to tactic RPG if I'm right (on the NES or SNES). It was pretty unique and like the football game are very successful it's strange that a publisher try another gameplay with the football game.

For example I don't like football game but with a friend we also think it could be interresting to be only one character in the game, manage our contract with club, have trainings etc ... and during a game have a camera like a third personn game to be more in the action. We could also use our character on online game with other people. Just an idea during a drink night :rolleyes:

Guest James

ive lost weeks to marathon cm4 sessions; the game is a beast; i really look forward to Football Manager, the new game from Sports Interactive (with the name of the original football management game by Kevin Toms on the 2600 - its all a unity!)

There actually is something close to what I had in mind - Chaos League. I downloaded the demo a long time ago, but the tutorial was really crappy and put me off playing it. Once I got through it got somewhat fun, actually.

The game is a mix of real-time combat and american football, the players are all sorts of fantasy creatures and they have all kinds of spells and abilities. The object is to score the most touchdowns.

I haven't played much yet, but it's surprisingly fun.

you can control just one player in the football game anstoss action.

it's like fifa with a better management part. i got this game from a games magazine but i stopped playing it after five minutes because it bored me to dead...