Sign in to follow this  
Aussie Ben

That Tarted Up PS2 Altered Beast Game

So, anyone get it, then? It came out here a couple of weeks ago (picked it up on the same day as King of Swing for GBA), and I've been playing it on-off every so often since I got it. It's better than I expected it to be - you get the pretty CGI interludes with the ludicriously dead serious story about genetic manipulation and the like, which is always fun. "Transformation puts a huge strain on the cereberal cortex - the human part of your brain. We don't want your mind to transform as well." (cue dramatic chords!)

But basically, what it all boils down to is holding the circle button to transform into a werewolf (and later on, other creatures with different abilities that allow you to access different areas) and then beating the crap out of assorted walking corpses and giant monsterous animals and watching them splatter blood everywhere. Oh, and twisted, warped versions of some earlier enemies that have become incredibly huge and boss-like. Every boss you beat earns you either a new transformation or ability for an existing transformation, so there always seems to be a reward for destroying these massive boss things.

I'm having fun with it. The story is delightfully hokey, the combat is nothing too deep, and it comes with a "graphic violence" warning at the start of the game every time you boot up, which always makes me smile. Oh, but the camera can get a bit demented, but I got used to demented cameras a looooong time ago, so it hardly detracts from the experience. After all - I played through all of Mario Sunshine, didn't I? Haw haw.

I remember reading a preview of the game on gamespot or something and they said it was pretty crappy, oh well. I don't think it's coming out in USA

But can you play the bear that turns into the statue?

That bear was awesome.

I haven't unlocked him yet, but there's pictures of him plastered all over the manual and back of the box, so I'm guessing yes. And it says he does kung-fu! What hasn't this game got?

Apart from an American release, ho ho.

I remember reading a preview of the game on gamespot or something and they said it was pretty crappy, oh well. I don't think it's coming out in USA

Yeah, it's not. Sega US passed on it.

I saw it at E3 and it looked kinda...awful. Previews I read in Edge and elsewhere weren't very encouraging either.

Oh, and...

Rise from your grave!

Had to do it.

Again.