Sign in to follow this  
DeadKyle

Mafia 2?

Has anyone heard anything about Mafia 2 at E3 or around the web recently? I know its being developed but thats all they let us know so far. Just asking. Mafia for the PC was a damn good game.

In my mind, quite good not damn good. It was fun but there were some really horrible bits like the race car level and I always felt slightly detached from the combat and driving, maybe that's what they were going for with the film feel. The atmosphere the game created was fucking great... days spent talking in a marlin Brado accent, sigh if only I had to friends to annoy with it

Break the b0b

Stop it :)

I reviewed the Xbox version for jolt.co.uk, and quite frankly, I was distinctly underwhelmed. It was a better story than a game, with lacklustre combat and occasionally-satisfying driving.

That race car level was straight out of Spirit of Speed : 1937 though, which is to say that it was utterly shit. Didn't anyone who played that game before release bother to tell the devs?

As for Mafia 2, I heard they were considering a more Sopranos-esque contemporary setting, which with better cars, and tweaked combat, could actually be quite good.

Fingers crossed :peace:

I had a major beginner's luck with the race level. I won the first time I played. and it was pre patch too! I hear the patch makes the race a bit forgiving.

Yeah, i gotta say, i didn't find that race too mind bending. It was a challenge, just like the rest of the game and it only took, say, 5-6 tries to win it. You just had to find the little sneaky shortcuts.

And IMO, Mafia has the best ending to any game I've ever played.

That's just what I told b0b and even he had to admit that it was a bold move worthy of praise. Mind you, he didn't even play to the end, the lazy sod.

Yeah the ending was awesome. But it was weird seeing a young man's voice coming out of the old Tommy.

Surprisingly enough, in France, people had been waiting for years before the release : nearly every two months, Joystick - the most popular pc game magazine - would cover the development and be enthusiastic.

Then the game was released, you needed a futuristic computer to play, and one month after, everybody had forgotten it.

Strange for a game that had the universe, the gameplay and apparently the storyline, to be a huge hit....

I thought it was quite good. I enjoyed the difficulty of it (except for the race level, which I found impossible with the keyboard---so I just used that cheat to win the race) and I loved the music and atmosphere. Plus the facial textures were pretty awesome and the voice acting and story (admittedly a rip-off of Goodfellas and every organized crime movie made before it) were both better than average, with a satisfying--yet abrupt--ending.

You know what I just realized. The term "sub-par" means bad, but if you hit fewer shots than par in golf its good right? So what the fuck is that about?

You know what I just realized. The term "sub-par" means bad, but if you hit fewer shots than par in golf its good right? So what the fuck is that about?

Well........Wow, pure genious.....I'm stumped

The term "sub-par" means bad, but if you hit fewer shots than par in golf its good right? So what the fuck is that about?

"sub par" is bad and is a description of quality. "below par" is good and description of numerical supremacy. They are not the same.

All in a day's work for Screwtape P.I. extraordinaire.

"sub par" is bad and is a description of quality. "below par" is good and description of numerical supremacy. They are not the same.

All in a day's work for Screwtape P.I. extraordinaire.

Yeah I know they're two different sayings, but "sub" means "below", so you have synonyms before the word par, and it still doesn't make sense.

yes it does. "par" has different definitions which the context makes clear. The use of "below" (which they have to use considering the scoring) instead of "sub" is there to give an extra separation between both phrases.

It's somewhat bizarre and coincidental, but far from nonsensical.

The original felt too linear and structured. that didn't set well with it's vast open game world. I'm sure you read something like that from all the reviews.

I hope they change that for the sequel.

and they need to introduce some kind of economic model so beating up people and stealing cars (and selling them) have rewards. hhahahaha