Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 604: Mega-Sized 2023 Recap!

Three Moves Ahead 604:

Three Moves Ahead 604

Mega-Sized 2023 Recap!
Len, Rowan, and Ian gather 'round the Yule Log for an extended discussion on the year that was 2023 in strategy games. There was a lot of good and a lot of bad. There were a lot of people talking about "Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year" that didn't really know what they were talking about. We share our personal picks and tease out a theme to encapsulate an eventful stretch of time.

The thing that strikes me about Mimimi games is that they might just be like Relic and Company of Heroes - they've reached audience saturation for that particular type of game, and that audience simply isn't large/recurring enough to support the number of staff the studio continuously employs / costs of their particular development methodology, especially since the level design process sounds incredibly labour intensive to test.

I've bought COH2 / most of its expansions and Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3, but honestly haven't played any of them. Although I have fond memories of playing the original Desperados again, I'm no longer a teenager (cash-poor, but time-rich) willing to kludge around endless restores to try and execute a perfect plan (and truth be told, I never finished Desperados 1 either, losing interest in the cavalry fort mission).