Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Special interests don't like Arnold because he kicks their butt

What are 'special interests'? We don't have that over here.

Other than that... Arnie has never struck me as the brightest spark. I think he's too worried about seeming hip and cool all the time, which causes him to use phrases like 'I kick their butts' or 'I'll be back'.

The most important American leaders seem to be kinda dumb at the moment, especially in the cabinet, where they appear to be actively working on getting rid of the semi-intelligent ones. Or, one.

Believe it or not, Arnold is actually a much more competent governor than I think anyone (certainly I) expected. He's a Republican, to be sure, but I'd sure as hell rather have him in the White House than GWD. He just can't let go of kicking people's butts...

Also, "special interests" pretty much refers to groups which represent a minority of the population but can wield a disproportionate amount of power. Someone else can probably put it better.

Like... teachers?

Well, I guess Arnold isn't in charge of us, so we don't know whether he makes good or bad leadership decisions. But one thing I do know; he makes himself look like a complete moron to this side of the planet.

EDIT: Still don't quite get what Special Interests is then...

Unfortunately for some reason there are people who lump teachers and nurses in with, say, timber logging lobbyists as special interests, which is beyond ridiculous, but there you go. Arnold isn't too bad all things considered (on some counts he's pretty good) but he's obviously far from ideal.

I always thought 'special interest' referred to the kind of people who were a minority, and didn't weild much power, generally, because they are a minority and not many other people (including other special interests) care (or know) about their point of view.

However, when a group is as outspoken as this one (they did pay 125 hard-earned bucksees just to unfurl their banner...and get in the newspapers), they do weild certain power.

By the way, that Arnie quote is great. :naughty:

A special interests group is any group that tries to modify public opinion or legislation to reflect their view as to what the public opinion or legislation should be. This includes any group that represents a minority, profession, business sector, etc. so long as they are pushing their own agenda in someones face.

Some special interests in the USA:

National Rifle Association

OPEC

American Medical Association

Teamsters Union