Sign in to follow this  
mike

[Released] That's The Stuff!

Playable jam version here: https://mantiseyelabs.itch.io/thats-the-stuff

Hello, friends, long time listener to Wizard Jam and Idle Thumbs (also I helped make the website, sorry), first time Wizard Jammer! I mostly wanted to participate because it's the last one.

Anyway I picked "That's The Stuff" because I've always wanted to make a weird inventory management game. Also it seems like something I'm pretty likely to finish because it doesn't involve any complicated game mechanics or interactive systems (more on that later). Maybe. Plus I can write the entire thing in javascript.

The basic idea is you collect "stuff". You have limited spots to store your stuff, but you want more stuff because... having stuff is cool. You can polish your stuff, change your stuff's color and probably level up your stuff. Along with the stuff there are also various non-stuff items you will collect on your journey such as stuff polish and stuff spraypaint.

How do you collect stuff? You click a button that will let you find some stuff. You'll find stuff and also inventory items (for your knapsack).

You can also earn gold chips, which you can use to buy things that are non-stuff, such as more slots to store your stuff and more space in your knapsack so you can store more inventory. You earn gold chips by having stuff, with different stuff generating gold chips at different rates.

None of this is implemented yet, instead I spent entirely too much time working on UI and animation. So here's a gif of that:

thestuff001.gif

And yes the game will only have four colors. The game may not be fun but it will hopefully be very addictive!

That's the stuff!

A progress report. You can find stuff! Lots of other things to wire up but here's a nice gif for everyone:

thestuff002.gif

---

On 1/16/2020 at 10:37 AM, brendonsmall said:

Awesome, glad you're participating! :D I like the monotone gameboy look so far!

Thank you!

Alright, thanks to the long weekend got in a bunch of changes:

• You can now buy things in the store! Spend your hard earned gold chips or just buy some with real money!
  • You can trash (delete) any stuff that you want
  • Stuff finding is slower the more you attempt it
  • You can view more details about your individual stuff
  • Lots of alerts and popups when bad things happen
  • Sweet logo screen animation (which I missed in the gif, so it'll have to be a surprise for later) with custom Wizard Jam 10 logo

thestuff003.gif

Still need to implement knapsack and all the items you keep in it. Leveling your stuff also needs to be added and probably a few other things I forgot.

Whew, got this in just under the wire: https://mantiseyelabs.itch.io/thats-the-stuff

I am terrible and didn't implement saving, so none of your progress will be preserved if you refresh the browser window or whatever else. I'm hoping to have that fixed tonight! But the important thing is I got it submitted mostly.

Okay I updated the game, it works as intended now, you can reload and your progress is saved and all that. That was fun!