Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 468: Same Thing, Different Place

Three Moves Ahead 468:

Three Moves Ahead 468

Same Thing, Different Place
The gang has been playing the Steel Division 2 beta and wow, things are different on the Eastern Front. That leads to a discussion of how familiar series and systems take on new life, or fail to, when adapted to new settings.

Imperator, Steel Division 2, Sengoku Jidai, Pike and Shot,

I think the problem with CoH2 reception in Russia was not that the Soviets were bad, but that they were the only bad people in the series. Even Enemy at the Gates spent time explaining that Nazis are bad and in the end, you were cheering for a farm boy Zaitcev shooting an aristocrat Nazi. And Saving Private Ryan had a scene where American soldier shot Czech conscripts trying to surrender. CoH1 and 2 portray every faction as sympathetic common people turned into heroes and murderers by the war. It's all neutral and evades any moral judgment. But then you play as Soviets and turns out that all the bad sadistic guys are there. If the same campaign showed Germans as equally bad people wouldn't care. Fallout and Red Alert were very popular in China even though they ridicule Communists, but they also do the same with everybody else so no one cares.

Can't wait to hear further Imperator Rome discussion! It must be at least as long as Total War Rome 2 episode which is always a good listen.

This was a really interesting episode. I particularly liked the conversation on The Operational Art of War IV. I think this would be a good one to do an episode on some time, I’ve been eyeing it for a while as a newbie to hex wargames but haven’t jumped in as it seems so massive and I haven’t seen much discussion in any of gaming reviews land anywhere.