Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Anyone played Obitus?

It's this old action/RPG/adventure from Psygnosis, kind of like Eye of the Beholder and similar games.

I played it a long time ago, and loved it, but perhaps mainly because I had played nothing else like it before. Back then I was really a big fan, I even made maps of the dungeons in MS Paint and uploaded them to some BBS-s.

Psygnosis made some really good games...

Yes. Obitus. :idea: I have some memory of an owl, liberal usage of the colour purple (can't remember whether in-game or just the packaging), and moving around in a forest right near the beginning of the game. Damn I'm vague :hmph: Does that sound even vaguely correct?

I happen to know that Eye of the Beholder, the Westwood series, were the spiritual and gameplaywise forefathers of Westwoods brilliant rpg Lands of Lore, which I love & cherish.

Is this Obitus up to par? Can you donate some screenshots?

I happen to know that Eye of the Beholder, the Westwood series, were the spiritual and gameplaywise forefathers of Westwoods brilliant rpg Lands of Lore, which I love & cherish.

Is this Obitus up to par? Can you donate some screenshots?

I'm not sure if it's on par really. It's a long time since I've played either of those games and Obitus is the only one I finished. I guess it was easier or shorter or something. It also mixed some side-scrolling action bits with the Lands of Lore style thing.

I think it was kind of unique. But might be uninteresting nowadays.

Mobygames have some screens:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/p,2/gameId,3600/

I haven't really played many games by Psygnosis, but I do know that they had some awesome box art for games and Shadow of the Beast scared me when I was 3.

Oh wow. Even just seeing those screenshots makes me realise again that these games rock. Really, the Lands of Lore system/engine was terrific, no 'real' first person game has ever been able to offer quite the same experience.

My word it looks like an absolute blast to play! Just seeing all those characters makes me wonder in amazement what they'll have to offer and say! Of course my anticipation already makes it better than it can actually be, but what the heck ^_^

There are some pretty gaudy screenshots in there though @_@ In the sense of art direction, I think Lands of Lore made a more consistent impression.