Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 449: Frozen Synapse 2

Three Moves Ahead 449:

Three Moves Ahead 449

Frozen Synapse 2
Frozen Synapse 2 is here, bringing combat that is an intricately planned and delicate ballet that ends with a shotgun to the face. Rob, Jon Bolding, and Troy "Wait, you said we were just going out to ride Tron bikes" Goodfellow plan and shoot their way through a cyperpunk collection of hallways and doors.

Frozen Synapse 2

Good ep, liked hearing the Thumb's takes on the single player campaign. It sure is a lot more opaque and complex than the first game's campaign(and for that reason I'd recommend new players start with the first game). This game really needs a wiki, because I've been having A LOT of questions, thankfully the Steam forums have been a big help. I'm ~28h into the campaign and I'm not sure when this thing is gonna end. IIRC something was mentioned about needing to collect 10 Relics near the start of the game, but I have 11 of them by now and this thing is still going!

I haven't had any issues with the story not aligning to my choices, but I think that's mostly because I've been playing super-diplomatically, never fighting any other factions unless it's part of a story mission or if they attack me. The only contracts I've taken on has been attacking Raiders and delivering parcels.

Since the campaign is so opaque and info about the game is still scarce online, how about we POOL OUR RESOURCES and share some HOT GAMER TIPS. Here's a few things I've picked up so far:

• The default HQ is on the edge of the map and thus very far from most things you might like to do. Get an office in a more central location as soon as possible. Size doesn't seem to matter, so get a cheap one.
  • Don't feel like you have to do every incursion, you can skip a lot of them and still be ahead of the other factions.
  • One thing that really sucks is having to give up on a contract (and thus losing money) because something urgent (like a nearby incursion) popped up while you were on your way to the job. So before accepting a contract, send your squad to the street just outside the mission-location, then accept.
  • Also if you're making your way back to base with a Relic and a buncha loot, don't just send them straight back to base if there's a bunch of checkpoints in the way, take the long way around instead.
  • If some of your units need to heal, create a separate "healing squad" for them so they can stay behind and get better even if you have to send their regular squad out.
  • To use rockets and grenades you need to purchase a heavy weapons license, check under the Services tab. It's also worth upgrading the travel-license so you can move faster around the map.