Johanna

It Came from the Desert

‘It Came from the Desert’ is one of the most under appreciated games I know of. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve played this game, and every time it’s different. You literally can’t do everything in one go. Now you can download it free from Cinemaware [not the Genesis/ Megadrive version. It’s a completely different game].

A description from the site:

A new dimension in terror that will have you screaming for mercy. Ants, twenty feet tall, go marching one by one, using your hometown as a picnic basket! Panic grips the city as this monster sized mutation strikes terror again --- and again --- and again. Witness science fiction become fact as the unimaginable becomes real --- the impossible becomes true! You'll marvel as the screen explodes with action so real you can feel the desert wind chap your parched lips. Sound effects so eerie you can hear the distant marching of giant harvester ants on the prowl! Human drama abounds - blackmailing rivals, land scams, love triangles and desert cults!

Has anyone heard of it here? I’ve yet to come across another person, who wasn’t a family member, who’s played it.

It's a nearly perfect game, as are all the old Cinemaware games.

The Amiga version of ICftD is the best, I had that one years ago.

I tried to emulate the Amiga version on PC, because I can't bear only 16 colors.

Well, I failed on the try, but it's certainly great.

I wasn’t actually expecting to get a response.

I’ll have to check out all the other old Cinemaware games. I suck, so I’ve only played this one.

Surely it’s worth putting up with 16 colours for such a great game? I downloaded it, and it plays like shit on my computer, but I still love it.

Did you guys ever actually complete it? I always ran out of time.

The greatest Cinemaware game ever is Defender of the Crown.

And the commodore 64 version of that is the most legendary, even though the Amiga version has the best graphics ;)

I've never completed ICftD.

Also Johanna you should try out Rocket Ranger, that's one of my all time favourite Cinemaware games. :)

Surely it’s worth putting up with 16 colours for such a great game? I downloaded it, and it plays like shit on my computer, but I still love it.

Honestly, it's for me a agony to play it with only 16 colors. I can't ignore it or look over that. It's the point where the gameplay doesn't matter anymore, it's like a bar in the eye.

Well, there are only two games I played with only 16 colors: Duke Nukem and Space Quest 3. The first one is very addictive and the graphicer seemed to be very talented because I see it more as an unique graphic style. I always thought it was a VGA game, I was surprised when I played it again.

And Space Quest 3 would have been one of my most beloved game if it wouldn't have the parser interface (who doesn't accept the most rudimentary words - arrgh!) and had better graphics. I beat it only with walkthrough. It was a bit of fun that way. It's funny (or not) that he doesn't recognize the same english words in german.....

Maybe it would already one of my favorite games if it would have a mouse control....

The name "Cinemaware" has such a classy, 40s Hollywood star ring to it. Nowadays the names all have to sound so strange and surreal, like some kind of inside joke.

Yeah, and the cool thing is that all of Cinemaware's games were heavily cinematic, like interactive movies one could say.

I only played the 3 Stooges game, it was the great grandfather of Mario Party... :mock:

I love it when companies release their old stuff free, although I still prefer the "real deal"...

Since this game was never released in my country, I think I'll try it out! :sombrero:

How ironic. Hollywood professionals crafted the music and screenplay for ‘It Came from the Desert’. Apparently.

Thanks for the recommendations Kolzig. I shall download and play them both when I get the chance. :) I think I may have played Defender of the Crown already. It sounds familiar. It would have been the C64 version if I did. What a shame I never got to experience the amazing capabilities of the Amiga. ;)

Never mind Kluf. I just have never found it that bad.

Yes, try it Tanukitsune! I bet you’ll love it. Possibly.

Huh? How odd, the game seems to run... slow? How can this be?

I thought it was going to run too fast when the site said I would need MoSlo...