Jake

Idle Thumbs 316: In My Head, I Was Degrading

Idle Thumbs 316:

Idle Thumbs 316

In My Head, I Was Degrading
You look up from your keyboard and notice something's not right. It looks like the game you were just playing, but something's a little off. Did you fall into a game within a game? "No worries," you think, wiping the gunk from your sunken eyes, "I'll just finish up this little Easter Egg and be moving again in no time," and delve deeper. The police discover your skeleton, still at the keyboard, dead for who knows how long. The officer who found your remains enters them into evidence improperly, is suspended without pay, and must restore from a previous save. You look up from your keyboard and notice something's not right.

Discussed: Celeste, PICO-8 fantasy video game console, Celeste for PICO-8, Inside a Star-Filled Sky, The Veldt (Ray Bradbury short story), the game police, Police Quest, Duncan Fyfe's Police Quest article for Waypoint, Duncan Fyfe's podcast Something True, The Pixel Art Progenitors, They Are Billions, billions, Anno: 27 Billion, pinball, Cinco Paus, Flappy Bird, Bay Tek Games, MirraViz Multiview Display, gaslighting by cinema, Far Cry 2, Super Smash Bros., Nintendo LABO, Consumer Game War.Improved, The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, hacking Donkey Kong high scores

Sponsored By: Squarespace (use offer code "thumbs" for 10% off your website), Casper (use offer code "thumbs" for $50 off select mattresses), MVMT (use offer code "thumbs" for 15% off watches and more)

The guy with a rainbow wig who held up the John 3:16 sign at football games has a whole story behind him, recounted on history/comedy podcast The Dollop. Fair warning, it includes domestic violence.

They also did the Rocketman story covered by Something True.