Sign in to follow this  
twmac

I finally remembered the name of the oscure 'Vietnam' film

Okay, so about 10-13 years ago I posted on this forum with a fairly lengthy plot synopsis for this film I watched as a kid that I thought was totally awesome (but blatantly wasn't) about a group of soldiers that go into Vietnam(?) and are betrayed by some googly eyed weirdo, while teaming up with an ageing pilot and a reporter with heroin needle scars on her arm.

I could only remember weird specific bits like the fact that there is a tertiary character named stone who gets killed in a church and the priest who is with them gets crucified and that it ends with this bug-eyed weirdo who betrayed them, being left in a compound surrounded in flamethrower fire.

I posted it to an obscure film thread on facebook, and although no one was able to tell me what it was, it did jog my memory that maybe the bug eyed weirdo was Klaus Kinski. IT WAS.

The film is called Codename: Wild Geese and has Lee Van Cleef (as the ageing pilot), Ernest Borgnine and Klaus Kinski in it, it was made by the director who made the Last Hunter - a film that people suggested it might be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Name:_Wild_Geese

I am so happy that I finally get to watch this piece of trash that I only watched once when I was about 7, but that left an indelible lasting impression on me

And to think I was so close when I said the pilot 'looked like Lee Van Cleef'

I only asked about this 8 years ago, but all the same it has been bothering me ever since.

I wonder if the name is an attempt to cash in on The Wild Geese (1978), another men on a mission film starring Roger Moore. Given that Code Name: Wild Geese is an Italian production (from the director of Cannibal Apocalypse!) that would be my guess, though I don't know if Wild Geese was a big enough success to garner that sort of imitation.

Oh yeah, going through some stuff on Youtube - there are some scenes that are directly ripped off from The Wild Geese.

I really need to watch this film properly without annoying Youtubers talking over the top of it.