Sign in to follow this  
SamKD

Personal Finance, Points, Miles, Credit Cards and everything inbetween

Chris mentioned on a recent cast that he was very into keeping up personal finance, points, miles, credit cards, etc.  I've just in the last year gotten really into this as well, and after hearing that Chris was into it I thought I'd make a forum thread about it for any other interested people.  

For me it started when I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card that came with a sign-up bonus of 100,000 points after spending a minimum amount over a certain time period.  Basically I fulfilled the offer minimum by installing some hardwood floors.  That in turn paid for roundtrip tickets to Peru and back in first class ~ all for the equivalent of about $350 each way.  

It's a pretty neat hobby that actually helps you in the long run.  I highly recommend checking it out.  If anyone else has recommendations for news sites and blogs to follow regarding this, please feel free to include them!

I learned much of what I know from the FlyerTalk forums. I don't spend as much time on them now as I used to, because a lot of the baseline information starts to get redundant and it becomes more about keeping up with every tiny new development, but I still have a slate of subscribed threads I check every couple days. It's an unparalleled resource for this stuff, I think.

3 hours ago, SamKD said:

For me it started when I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card that came with a sign-up bonus of 100,000 points after spending a minimum amount over a certain time period.  Basically I fulfilled the offer minimum by installing some hardwood floors.  That in turn paid for roundtrip tickets to Peru and back in first class ~ all for the equivalent of about $350 each way.

By the way, the Sapphire layers pretty well with the two Freedom cards. They both also earn Ultimate Rewards points which are combinable. One gives 1.5/dollar on everything and the other gives 5/dollar but on quarterly rotating categories. Neither has an annual fee, so they're easy to keep around. I think both also come with a modest sign-up bonus.

On 9/8/2017 at 0:08 PM, tabacco said:

By the way, the Sapphire layers pretty well with the two Freedom cards. They both also earn Ultimate Rewards points which are combinable. One gives 1.5/dollar on everything and the other gives 5/dollar but on quarterly rotating categories. Neither has an annual fee, so they're easy to keep around. I think both also come with a modest sign-up bonus.

I would LOVE to get the freedom cards, but as it is, I'm about to sign up for the second southwest card for the 120k total points and companion pass.  I figure that will pay for a trip to LV or Austin sometime soon.  I do regret that I think I've messed up the timing, and the companion pass (once I get it) would only be valid to Dec. 31st this year.

It's really a shame that the 5/24 rule is such a pain to work around...