Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 49: The Return, Part 14

@Mentalgongfu - I appreciate the recommendation!  Got a copy of Rahula's 'What the Buddha Taught' recently as my intended starting point, based on a recommendation from a friend.

As regards losing the books: I have had many books go the same way (well, not being eaten, but loaned and never returned), but if I am honest I must admit that there are also quite a few on my own shelf that were borrowed from people I have lost touch with, or which I know were originally someone else's but can no longer remember whose.  For a few years now I have followed the philosophy of presuming that books do not follow the usual rules of ownership: I lend books without being too worried about whether they come back.  I find a similar outlook on cigarette lighters helps to minimise the irritation when your lighter goes missing *again*.

That said, under this new regime I probably would not be prepared to lend irreplaceable stuff or books which have serious sentimental value.

@BonusWavePilot

Yeah, you should never loan a book you will be upset to not get back.

I learned that, eventually.

I've lost a few since then, but I accepted the risk mentally beforehand.

The two I mentioned -- they still hurt to think about, almost as bad as when my Seagull acoustic guitar got run over by a car.

But I agree, books do not follow normal ownership rules.

I like to imagine they have a life of their own, as they spread their knowledge,

and have perhaps made it into hands that value them as much as I did.

Still, I was unprepared at the time.

As for lighters, having long hair, I started keeping a hair tie on my lighters to ensure I always have one when I need it.

And that little trick has, inadvertently,  cut down on lighter theft by 95 percent.

Speaking of which, "Got a light?"

Got a light.jpg

Ah yes, I used to use the hair-tie trick: am a former long-hair owner myself - probably still would be if my genes had not determined that mine was to be the life of a baldie...  These days I either just accept that I must do my share of thieving to maintain the correct lighter distribution, or sometimes just buy one that is unwieldy or ugly enough that it doesn't easily slip into the usual attention void that these things occupy.

I used to live with someone who was a sink for lighters - she often had voluminous pockets in which things would go missing, so she never had a lighter she could find, but when she borrowed one she would invariably absently drop it into those pockets.  We used to have a margarine bucket by the washing machine that she would fill up with lighters when emptying her pockets before doing a load...

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:10 AM, brandons said:

I also loved Gordon's bafflement at Lucy when he asked if she had been working as the sheriff's receptionist all through the years, and she took it literally. "You've been there all through the years, Lucy?" "Well, actually, I have gone home, and Andy and I have taken some vacations. One year we went to Bora Bora." *silence*

Yessssssss haha. I was losing it at the end of their super awkward interaction.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, Mentalgongfu said:

I wondered if it had any significance or was just a comment on Andy being a little "different." 

I'm inclined to believe the former, but if it did have deeper meaning, perhaps it is because he is not eating meat?

I haven't noticed anything else in the series relating to vegetarianism, but it would be in line with the Buddhist principle of "ahimsa," non-violence to all beings.

In regards to your 'meat' theory- I wonder if this would this in any way be relatable to the Sarah Palmer scene in the grocery/liquor store where she absolutely flips out because of the new (turkey?) jerky...?

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:00 AM, Owl said:

I wonder if Sarah's situation is like the original Bob situation, with her not knowing her possessor (mom monster?) is there or at least not being in control of it. I'm inclined to think so, partly because of the "there's something in the kitchen" scene - maybe that means that whatever it was had left her body and was in the kitchen, separate from her. And her spazziness, and the way her face sometimes almost seems to be making two different expressions on each half (am I imagining this?) would fit with that. But honestly I'd buy that she's just possessed all the time now too. I don't know.

Totally NOT 'imagining it.' I've noticed this a lot as well

On 8/18/2017 at 7:26 PM, marblize said:

3. Even if everything is as it seems, I think the withholding is frustrating to such an obvious degree that it could serve as critique of prestige tv plot-blocking, as you guys alluded to but didn't reckon with as intentional beyond maintaining a particular internal rhythm/pace.

OT, but that's a compelling piece which just makes me wish Film Crit Hulk would drop his gimmick already. I get it, it got people to pay attention to him in the first place but the ALL-CAPS & "Hulk says" shtick makes it kind of annoying to read tbh. On another note, he was recently a guest on Fire Talk With Me (an episode I haven't listened to yet) so I'll be interested to hear what he sounds like in person. Really hope he didn't do the interview in-character haha.

EDIT: This line made me laugh though: "THE SHOW TAKES PLACE IN 1983. THE DUFFER BROTHERS WERE BORN IN 1984."

And also feel vaguely sad that apparently the Duffer Brothers are a year younger than me.

21 minutes ago, LostInTheMovies said:

OT, but that's a compelling piece which just makes me wish Film Crit Hulk would drop his gimmick already. I get it, it got people to pay attention to him in the first place but the ALL-CAPS & "Hulk says" shtick makes it kind of annoying to read tbh. On another note, he was recently a guest on Fire Talk With Me (an episode I haven't listened to yet) so I'll be interested to hear what he sounds like in person. Really hope he didn't do the interview in-character haha.

If you read his Twin Peaks recaps at Vulture you'll see he largely if not entirely has dropped the gimmicks.