theschap

[Released] The Titan Falls

I felt bad for neglecting the forums this jam so I wanted to throw up a quick devlog and bring over everything I've written in my itch devlog.

First, a quick background on my game. It is a 2 player (local same mouse) board game in which each team starts with 6 units, and they take turns rolling to destroy the other player. Once a player has destroyed at least 3 of the opposing player's units they can attack the Titan. The player who defeats the Titan wins the game. Two 6D dice are rolled to calculate whether an attack is effective or not, and if a player rolls doubles they are given a 15 for their roll.

As it stands the game is pretty basic, and the art is incomplete. There also isn't any sound, Part of me is tempted to just over time replace units in the game with models I have done in previous jams, so it could just be a progressive thing.

I think that's it for a setup. Now the copy and pasted posts from the Itch devlogs!

Posted June 20th - Bare Bones

cywwXd.png

I submitted a very bare-bones version of the game to meet the jam deadline. There is a bit of mechanics stuff to work out yet, and nearly the entire aesthetic is missing (visual and audio);  just about everything is a placeholder.

I would like to see this project to completion, but with a larger project in the works I'm not sure I will get there. It may be better to just take what I learned from the experience and move on.

Posted June 22nd - Near Mechanics Complete

I've made some good progress towards the original vision. You can now attack the Titan once you have downed 3 of your enemies units. The nemeses will now assist you if you roll doubles. This is a pretty simple advantage at the moment and will get fleshed out a bit more later.

I have noticed a couple strange bugs with the camera transitions yet, but it doesn't seem to affect the game play, so it's a bit lower on my priority list than actually getting everything working.

And maybe someday I will put some art in there?!?

Posted June 25th - It's a Game!

I can officially consider this a game now. Players battle one another. Once they have defeated 3 of the opposing teams units they may attack the Titan. The first player to kill the Titan wins.

There is still no real aesthetic or sound, but at least it's a game now.

If you run across any bugs please let me know. Thanks for playing.

Posted Today - Art Incoming

XdpCCU.gifKrh7l4.gif

I have finally taken some time to put some artwork into the game. There still aren't any units models, but the environment is new, and the PSX aesthetic is starting to shine through, though it may be a little closer to PS2. I haven't played with the UI yet, but I suspect replacing the images I am using with my own will go a long ways to making it cohesive. 

If you are reading this, thanks for sticking with me as I tweak the project!

Related to the jam, I recorded myself playing through a few of my fellow Wizard Jam 5 submissions. Check it out here if you are interested. 

The pill units are starting to grow on me...

9yMKHN.gif

I've been playing around a bit with the mood of the game. Some music should help push it along. Someday.

I recently uploaded version 1.6 of my game and I'm more or less done with it.

I wanted to share the nightmare of my camera transitions triggers in Unity and the solution I finally came to. So I made heavy use of triggers to push the camera from animation state to animation state. However, it became a major pain to manage triggers that sometimes reset themselves, and sometimes didn't. At first I was resetting triggers a couple states after they were used to make sure they were ready the next time the game looped around. This was a mess. Then I tried just resetting them all at certain points, but it always messed up the current state the camera was in and it would skip. So I came to this!

private List<string> cameraParameters;

void Start() {    
        foreach(AnimatorControllerParameter param in MainCam.CamAnim.parameters)
        {
            cameraParameters.Add(param.name);
        }
    }

private void resetCameraAnimTriggers(params string[] triggers)
    {
        bool match = false;

foreach(string param in cameraParameters)
        {
            foreach(string trigger in triggers)
            {
                if( trigger == param)
                {
                    match = true;
                }
            }
            if (!match)
            {
                MainCam.CamAnim.ResetTrigger(param);
                Debug.Log(param + " reset.");
            }

else
                match = false;
        }
    }

This way I could pass in the current trigger that was active to keep my state machine functioning. Here is my state machine by the way.

AnimStates.png.47eab1cdf5ea964b80df00f21cff1f3b.png

I'm not going to say this was the best way to make this game, but hey. I feel like I learned a lot of stuff.

I played the new version, nice improvements!

The titan also attacking is cool, that hadn't happened to me before.

Also having something happen when the defendant rolls doubles is good, that helps when you get a long streak of attacks being unsuccessful. Although I have to say it's a bit overpowered right now, usually resulting in an instakill to the attacker. What actually happened to me was me rolling doubles while defending against the Titan, dealing 10 damage to it...