Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 392: Steel Division: Normandy 44

Three Moves Ahead 392:

Three Moves Ahead 392

Steel Division: Normandy 44
Do you like wargames in Europe... that escalate? Do you like air AND land battles? Then Eugen games and their partners at Paradox have a game for you in Steel Division: Normandy 44. The creators of the perennial favorite Wargame series have turned their rivet-counting attention to World War II in their newest real time strategy game. Rob, Rowan, and Fraser give you the scoop on the latest game and why they have enjoyed their pre-release access.

Steel Division: Normandy 44

I'm excited to give this a try. I played Red Dragon but found its systems almost impenetrable to a newbie. Are there any good let's plays or resources to help a Wargame noob git gud? 

6 minutes ago, Pearlmania said:

I'm excited to give this a try. I played Red Dragon but found its systems almost impenetrable to a newbie. Are there any good let's plays or resources to help a Wargame noob git gud? 

Quill18 has a couple of videos that explore division creation and then a battle - you might want to check them out!

As we said on the episode, the best battles are team-based. Find a bud (or many buds), pick a role (air support, infantry, etc) and try to tackle an AI team on normal difficulty. The real challenge is learning how to handle all the different crises you're bound to encounter in a battle, but focusing on a particular role reduces the number of things that will need your attention. 

Regarding the use of early phase units in later phases, you can definitely use older units in later phases. I've put in 100 hours in the beta so far, and I have never seen the behaviour described where Phase A cards suddenly disappear when Phase B rolls over. I believe the hosts are simply losing track of their cards in the hectic battle. 

Long time listener  :)  and decided to post a question.... 

Finished Episode 392 Steel Division: Normandy 44 (which was very informative and enjoyable to listen to) and feel myself in a bit of a quandary.

I play Advanced Squad Leader/ASL, GMT Silver Bayonet, Churchil, Paths of Glory, etc. - little more complex boardgames but finding I don't have the time to play. Specifically just the setup takes 30-45 minutes + actual playtime then tear down is very time consuming. Finding a block of  3-6 hours and physical space to setup then play is becoming a bit of a challenge. So I've been giving consideration to computer/PC games.

I purchased War in the East, printed out manuals and then last week heard the Unity of Command podcast ! :o Yesterday I listen to Episode 392 with Steel Division... I'd prefer to focus on a single game and get proficient.

What would you recommend of the 3 (War in East, Unity or Steel Division)? 

Only tactical game (unit=squad) I enjoy is ASL - design and fact that thru learning 1 system I can game all of WW2 thru Korea.

Also really enjoy the Gamers Standard Combat Series - again once, you get the series rules down - it opens up a pandora's box of exploration.

Operational/Division Level Eastern Front is interesting but also have a soft spot for Normandy campaign especially after spending several days touring the area....

Totally enjoy the Podcast guys! Keep up the great work...

Confused as usual in LA, Matt

On 4/28/2017 at 4:21 PM, Madmat said:

What would you recommend of the 3 (War in East, Unity or Steel Division)? 

War in the East and Unity of Command would probably suit you more, especially if you're looking for a game that a bit like those complex tabletop games you didn't have time to play. I'd recommend Unity because it's the more accessible of the two.

Hi Fraser:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to purchase Unity of Command looks like a nice strategic game with good user interface.

I think my wife will be upset with you guys however because I also purchased Steel Divisions: Normandy 1944 - wow! thank you for the podcast on this game otherwise I never would have heard of it; let along purchase... Absolutely loving it and so is my 9 year-old son! Win-Win!

Keep up the good work guys.

sincerely, matt