graddy

Alternative storytelling and interaction methods in games

This may be obvious to most, but it just hit me today a big reason why I like "walking simulators" so much. They take the risk of trying to apply a higher budget to some kind of immersive story but not relying on the Video game constant of violence or combat to drive the story.

-Gone Home - high quality audio recordings along with the detailed space, lots of detail and things to read help with immersion
-That Dragon, Cancer - A simpler example, but still quite emotionally effective with more abstract graphics and the gut-punch of voiceover from the grieving father himself
-Firewatch - My favorite yet, a gorgeous landscape, excellent voiceacting that gives you ownership over the character even if you cannot effect the main thread of the plot.

I apologize to post this in a new thread instead of a more general topic, but I feel like this is an area I've only until paid glancing attention to and really want this trend in gaming to continue. I didn't realize until today how much I craved alternative storytelling and interaction methods in video games. I want more games like this!

I know in advance that there are a ton of itchios to recommend in this space, but one disadvantage there to me personally is that the lesser budget leads to more difficulty with suspension of disbelief, an essential componenet to this type of game for me. But still, if it moved you, post away!

I find it interesting that the two games you mention being the most immersive lack character-models. I suspect that games that cost less than a couple of million won't have the character-animations you need to suspend disbelief. 

I haven't played either of these, but the impressions I have (based on the marketing) of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture would fit what you are describing a desire for.

It is precisely because they don't have to pay for expensive animation that I believe Firewatch and Gone Home achieve the high immersiveness/budget inverse relationship. Tacoma is looking to avoid this by having hologram people. No big budget needed to detail faces and speaking animation. As I said, That Dragon, Cancer moved me by having simple blocky abstract graphics, so I don't need detailed characters or animations to suspend disbelief. Maybe my itchio comment was off base.

I thought that Ethan Carter was more puzzle-based? I'll check it out, I believe it's only a few bucks on Stean for the winter sale. 

I don't really know much about either of the games I mentioned. I am just making assumptions.

There is also Dear Esther which again I have not played.

Oh and there is Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist which I played and very much enjoyed. Therd is also The Stanley Parable which I have not played. Oh and The Beginner's Guide which I liked for reasons I imagined on my own.

Her Story isn't a walking simulator but it still might appeal to you for the alternative storytelling part. Also check out the IF game Aisle he did. 

For walking stuff, I would make an unusual recommendation SOMA but with the "wuss" mod. It is still creepy but you don't have to worry about the monsters (except 2 chase scenes i think) and the story there is pretty good and the environments top notch. 

Miasmata is also really immersive but i haven't played it enough to get a sense of the story. there is a monster that hunts you there though. 

All the ones Clyde said are very good too. 

Ethan Carter has some puzzles but they aren't too difficult and i wouldn't call it puzzle based. Most of them involve walking, iirc, so it fits :D