Sign in to follow this  
Korax

Deus Ex Dracula - Slayer Shock

The latest game from David Pittman, who made Eldritch and Neon Struct. It's a vampire hunting game with procedurally-generated missions and immersive sim elements like sneaking, exploring, and leaving every sink in a neighborhood running at the same time. It also takes a cue from Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a light TV show structure: missions are presented as episodes, and each campaign to find and destroy the Big Baddie is a season. Buy from itch.io, Humble Store, or Steam (itch.io and Humble give DRM-free versions and a Steam key).

The stealth mechanics seem to be a bit choppy and some of the enemy respawning systems are a little too aggressive, but I'm enjoying it so far. Some of the stealth and movement stuff that has been in Pittman's previous games is locked behind a small skill upgrade system, so that stuff might work out much better when I buy those. I somehow got access to a really sweet katana early on, so I've just been running around wasting on vampires with it.

I somehow got access to a really sweet katana early on, so I've just been running around wasting on vampires with it.

As much fun as the game is, this is kind of a big problem at the moment. There's a whole system of elements and resistances and stealth, but strafe-sprinting with a melee weapon is so effective it makes all of it irrelevant even on Expert.

Seems like a neat idea, but procedural generation seems a bit at odds with a lot of the stuff I like about immersive sims. The levels I love in Deus Ex or Thief games tend to be meticulously designed with lots of hidden paths and secrets to find. I don't know if you can get that same effect from an algorithm. But I'll still probably give it a look.