Sign in to follow this  
ToastCrust

Planning to get a new pair of glasses

Hi, first time poster. I'm going to get new glasses soon, and I think I remember there being an online store for frames that sponsored one of the shows on the network at some point? Am I remembering right? And what site was it, and what was the coupon code?

i had a great experience with Warby Parker - picked out what i wanted to try on that came pretty quick...sent back and a few days later actual glasses!  they even have a fairly slick web-cam enabled measuring device that will line up your head to make sure they fit proper - pretty good option if you dont have an optometrist you see on the regular

I got the $100 line - Ive had them about 10 months now and no warping of the plastic, cracks or dings.  these are my first pair of glasses since grade 7 so it has been weird/exciting to not have to put in the cellophane lens everytime do something - especially on weekends or when need to get up in the middle of the night

So, as someone who makes eyeglasses, a thing to consider. The online places are just as good at making glasses as a store with a lab, but depending on your exact prescription, the exact fitting of the frames can have a significant effect on how the lenses should be cut and ground. Everyone's face is asymmetrical, and while I'm sure they have some solution to this online, it can't replace actually wearing the frames and seeing how your ears, nose and pupils align with where the lenses will be. Some prescriptions this doesn't matter much, but I have a hard time imagining making a properly set pair of progressives without having had the frames on the patient, and it'd be off in a way that can't be solved with adjusting them after the fact. Also, for some people things can be off and they don't notice, but there are some people who are simply very sensitive to very slight problems (a few degrees off in axis can give some people splitting headaches.) and the best way to avoid that is to get them in person. You might be totally fine though, it depends on the prescription. 

One other thing, don't anyone ever pay for an upgrade to polycarbonate lenses. They are only slightly more shatter and scratch resistant to plastic, and that comes at the cost of heat resistance, chemical resistance (bug spray can fuck them up) and a worse ABBE value (they are a worse transparent thing, basically.). They are a total scam.