Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Pre-paid travel cards

Hey,

My card has died while I am in the middle of Thailand and I am lucky that my partner has access to money so I am not completely screwed but I am facing a long and painful discussion with my Bank on how to send me my new card as I am not going to be in the UK for some time.

However, it has been floated to me that rather than waiting for up to six weeks for my new card to get here and being almost entirely dependent on my partner I could try and get a Pre-Paid travel card. A top-up card but with foreign currency.

I looked into Travelex that do a card where you buy money on their flat rate and then you can just pull out money. Problem is that there isn't a Travelex store anywhere in Thailand (closest place is Malaysia or Singapore).

Anyone had any experience with these and any suggestions on companies like Travelex that might have the same sort of offer?

Visa has a similar service called TravelMoney (MasterCard has something similar as well), I think (at least in the UK and back in Brazil) you can get it from most foreign exchange places. They work in any ATM with Visa/MasterCard logos, which at least in Europe tends to be most of them, and also for payments anywhere you could pay with a normal credit/debit card.

That is a good start - I will check for that.

Thanks for the advice!