Sign in to follow this  
Vorlonesque

Reflex (a really fast in development Arena FPS that I suck at but love)

I've been playing the hell out of Reflex recently (http://reflexfps.net/) and enjoying it (even though I'm terrible...especially at 1v1 where I get easily distracted and psych myself out occasionally).  I didn't see a post about it on here and I thought maybe someone might enjoy it so I thought I'd post.

Its an arena FPS in the style of the Quake games in terms of gameplay (it is being made by ~3 people in Australia at least 2 of whom worked on CPMA for Q3 if I remember correctly...but my memory isn't the greatest so I could be completely wrong)...and the current art style reminds me of Virtua Racing with the polygon counts pumped way way up (it has a flat shaded and at times almost cel-shaded sort of look to it, but with lots and lots of polygons on everything).  You can rocket jump, strafe jump, and bunny hop/circle jump around for speed and maneuverability.  I'm still getting used to the movement (its a little different than QW and a little closer to CPMA I think, as you can both strafe jump and bunnyhop), but I really like the way it feels and my only real gripe is that it doesn't have a lot of players right now so its a little hard to find a game.

I made some videos of some games I played for a couple different modes:

Arena Team DM (basically Clan Arena from Q3 (or Rocket Arena if I remember correctly), you spawn with all the weapons and fight in rounds):

FFA (Free for all):

Oh wow, yes please. I've been hoping for so long that an arena shooter game would gain some steam and become popular. Quake Live seems to be kind of languishing and the Doom 4 beta was a pretty big disappointment. Hopefully this or UT4 can expand the playerbase a bit, and I much prefer Quake to UT :)

Definitrly going to be sinking some time into this this weekend.

I've been playing it in small jumps every few months. I enjoy it a lot but typically get rekt by it's small pool of players with mid to advanced experience/skill with those games.

That said it's loyal community is growing and the devs are very friendly. Players are pretty competitive focused but they're a good sort. You can find discords for both the main game and your region pretty easily too if you want to set up duels, ctf, etc.
I know that the Aussie crowd has CTF Tuesdays, and tournaments semi regularly.

Something you probably noticed in that vid is that you can fully customise your UI widgets and it's actually pretty easy to do.

You can find guides for it on Steam and on the main Forums.

The map maker tools are really friendly now too.

I've been keeping an eye on this, but I heard the system requirement were quite steep. Anyway, even though I know it's unfair my main question is: why would I play this over Quake 3 OSP/CPMA?