Sign in to follow this  
Soren Johnson

Designer Notes 15: Nels Anderson

In this episode, Soren interviews Nels Anderson, who was the lead designer of the critically acclaimed Mark of the Ninja and is currently a designer/programmer at Campo Santo working on the upcoming game Firewatch. They discuss how he almost went into law enforcement, whether Mark of the Ninja actually has AI, and why designers should be able to write code.

Games Discussed: Thief, Planescape: Torment, DeathSpank, Mark of the Ninja, Firewatch

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/nels-anderson

Nice to hear that Nels was really into the Dark Sun campaign setting. That was definitely my favorite D&D world just because of how bizarre and alien the setting was compared to the other D&D settings which were mostly different flavors of traditional fantasy. I even played those Dark Sun PC games that TSR did, which I thought were really fun at the time, but were also buggy as hell and I suspect they wouldn't hold up nearly as well as some of the more highly regarded RPG classics like Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate, etc.

Oh man, making psionic thri-kreen or half-giants was very much my jam in the Dark Sun computer game days. Shame that indeed the game was so buggy I never managed to get far in it. Maybe it's for the best though because the game in my head is probably better than the real one.