Henroid

Black Lives Matter

"A teenage boy has allegedly been shot by police while holding a broomstick in Salt Lake City, sparking angry protests." The police may have been wearing body cams, I am interested to see how body cams will effect this stuff. Sure hope the footage doesn't get 'lost'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/salt-lake-city-shooting-teenage-boy-holding-broomstick-shot-by-police-sparking-angry-protests-a6901086.html

This happened just days after the guy in... I think it was Kentucky, went on a mass and random murder spree. He was taken in alive (he's white in case it wasn't clear). But this kid? Shot dead, no chances taken. Literally what the fuck.

Something pretty damning just came across the social media desk to me. A Nixon policy advisor was quoted in 1994, previously without attention, as having admitted to the War on Drugs being invented to keep anti-war leftists and black people down in the country. The quote has resurfaced by the efforts of a writer on the net.

http://jezebel.com/nixons-policy-advisor-admits-he-invented-war-on-drugs-t-1766359595

At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. “You want to know what this was really all about?” he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

I must have looked shocked. Ehrlichman just shrugged. Then he looked at his watch, handed me a signed copy of his steamy spy novel, The Company, and led me to the door.

The War on Drugs being a complete load isn't new to me, but I didn't know one of the people behind it was so frank about it.