Sign in to follow this  
Dinosaursssssss

Extra Life

Does anyone else around here take part in Extra Life? This'll be my 4th year and I haven't seen anyone post about it, but I figure there must be a few other folks around who participate. Post your donation link, and talk a bit about what you're gonna be playing on November 7th!

As for me, this year I'll be doing something a little different; I'm planning on doing a 24 hour solo game jam, where I'll base my game around whatever idea gets the most money donated towards it. And then attempt to incorporate any other ideas people suggest in their donation comments that'll fit. Here's my page, which has a little more info on my plan and some pictures from my previous years.

WHAT IS EXTRA LIFE 

Extra Life is a charity event run every fall where people do a 24 hour gaming marathon to raise money for children's hospitals. 100% of money raised goes directly to the Children's Miracle Network hospital of the players choice. Some big sites like Giantbomb, Geek and Sundry, and Rooster Teeth are gonna do 24 hour (or longer) streams, and a bunch of game studios participate as well.

There are a lot of other gaming-adjacent charities that have popped up over the years that have felt questionable to me, but Extra Life feels it pretty directly goes toward helping folks who need it. I like that they let you choose which hospital you play for, so you can feel like you're making an impact on local kids and helping out your community. It's also just a fun, low impact way of doing something good with my hours of gaming once a year. If that explanation didn't do it for you, check out their FAQ.

Anyway, check it out, pitch a few bucks in to someone you know who's participating, or just watch the gianbomb stream on the 7th and hang out with me in slack until I pass out at 6am!

I participate by trying to absorb (and donate to) as many streams as possible. Unfortunately, I managed to schedule a late Halloween party on the same weekend this year, so I dunno how it will go.

Welp it's that time again, time for a bunch of people to play video games and whatnot to raise money for childrens hospitals. I'm participating again, building VR stuff for 24 hours straight (and taking requests for what to make!). But this year, in addition to raising money for Boston Children's Hospital, I'll be making a donation to Black Girls Code for every donation I receive, so I hope some folks will take a sec and make a donation :) http://www.extra-life.org/participant/dinosaursssssss/

And if anyone else out there is Extra Lifin', please post your donation link and if you're streaming, a link to that!