Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Idle Thumbs Makes-a Mario!

While the main Mario Maker thread has been a great way for people to share their original creations with one another, I've been watching the "Giant Bomb Makes Mario" videos and now have a bit of an itch to add an extra dimension to it. Here's what I'm thinking:

Every week (or some other interval of time), the forum generates a list of ten concepts. Any thumb interested designs and enters a level on this thread. These ten concepts can be interpreted in any way the level maker chooses (for example: "a shitty wizard" could be a giant kamek, a kamek in a clown car, a kamek who spawns and dies immediately, etc), but MUST be included in the level. I'm thinking that with the spectrum of people on this forum, some fantastic stuff would emerge. We could either just enjoy the levels for what they are or, if people want to be more competitive, make a poll for "level of the week".

Anyone interested in trying this out? If so, what would your suggestions be for things that should be included in the first level?

This sounds like fun, i might be on board with this. Ten distinct concepts might be a bit much to try to work into a single level though, i'd say somewhere between 2-5 is probably a better number for a concise, focused level that has enough room to kind of explore a few ideas in iteration.

Here's my suggestion for the first level: I've been playing around with bullet bill blasters on breakable blocks. They're affected by gravity, so if what they're sitting on is destroyed they'll fall and lock into place, or fall out of the map if that's how you have it set up.

The actual bullet bills just pass through terrain and blocks, the bullet bill launchers themselves will sit on breakable blocks until those blocks are broken by some other force, since their downard force through gravity does not break blocks.

Spoilered if you don't want my examples of what you can do with this:

You can, for example, create doors. With clever use of bob-ombs or shells or whatever else you can use to break terrain blocks, you can set up challenges or mechanisms that have bullet bill launchers slam into place as a gate that stays permanently shut, or does the exact opposite in a scenario where it drops out of the way. Maybe you could do both!

In addition to the above, i've also used bullet bill launchers on breakable blocks and an endless supply of thrown shells to create mechanical physics-driven boss fights.

Keep in mind that bullet bill launchers require a one block opening at the mouth of the launcher to actually fire, but after that, normal bullet bills can pass through terrain. If you obstruct the tube, you can create a non-firing bullet bill launcher as a gate. Or you could just slot in something harmless as its projectile, make it a coin launcher or something.

In one of my levels, i also have cloud blocks behind the bullet bill launchers to grab trampolines sitting on their top as they fall from their base block being broken by a shell, setting up a shifting trampoline chain to move around shells inside of a larger "boss" construct.

Anyways, yeah. I think that's an idea with some cool potential, but it's one i've already built a couple levels around, so anybody else got anything else to stack on that as Miffy was suggesting? Bullet Bill Launchers on breakable blocks is just one suggestion.